Kraig Carbine

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
oldratt

Kraig Carbine

Post by oldratt »

Like nearly everyone else I have a Kraig that I would like to know more about.

The receiver has model 1898 springfield armory 178529
with a U.S. above the springfield armory.

The cartooch on the stock has a date of 1899 on it with initials eith ILA or SLA.

The front sight has a c stamped on the right side.

All metal is in really good shape except the receiver that has a mottled appearance.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Is this a true carbine or a cut down rifle? Has it been refurbished? etc.

Travis

Re: Kraig Carbine

Post by Travis »

Springrield research service shows several KRAG RIFLES in your serial no grouping. That would indicate to me that you have a cut down rifle not a carbine, but I am not an expert. Does the weapon have a spring clip holding the barrel band on, is the front sight braised to the barrel or does it have a band that goes all the way around the barrel, is the front of the stock { under the barrel } filled in like a cleaning rod would fit into it ? These are a few things to look at to see if it is cut down or not . There are alot of more informed people here than my self I am sure more people will have other things to add to help you out . Good luck in your research but in the mean time enjoy shooting your krag !

billdavidmoore

Post by billdavidmoore »

I also have a Krag Carbine. The rear sight should be a carbine type, the barrel should be 22", the stock should have a front barrel band held on with a spring clip and there should not be a sling swivel at the butt end. Go the the photo section of this site and check out the carbine pictures as well as the rear sight pictures. If your piece has a front barrel band with a sling swivel, or a cutout at the butt for the lower swivel, those are a good indications that it may be a cut down rifle.
If you can find a copy of the book "The American Krag Rifle and Carbine" by Joe Poyer, you will find a lot of helpful information.
As you may have gathered, there is no i in Krag.

oldratt

Post by oldratt »

Thanks for your information.

The Krag does have a band on the front stock, no swivel, no hole, the barrel is 22 inches. No swivel on the butt stock.

The stock and barrel look new to me, the receiver doesn't. I don't think that the barrel has had a round fired through it.

oldratt

Post by oldratt »

I found the pictures. My Krag look exactly like the one in the pictures.

It also has an 1898 rear sight.

Tom_Pearce

Re: Krag

Post by Tom_Pearce »

From reports, #178529 was manufactured during the first quarter (Jan.-Mar.) of 1899 as a Rifle. No Carbines were mfg'd during this quarter. Your Rifle was cartouched by "JSA" for J. Sumner Adams and was originally mfg'd with the Model 1898 Rear Sight.

Ken_in_Iowa

Post by Ken_in_Iowa »

mserratt-

Perhaps a little clarification is in order, especially since in the least you have a parts gun with some valuable parts! I'm still not totally ruling out that it could be a genuine '98 carbine in that 221 '98 carbines were not finished until 1899 according to Franklin Mallory. This could account for the 1899 cartouche.

As we have established, the receiver is from a common 1898 rifle made in 1899....probably.

You have a very good 22" barrel with a carbine front sight. We can assume that it's probably a carbine barrel until postively verified.

Please measure the height of the front blade. It should be either .410" or .352" This will be an important detail to know which rear sight it matches with!

Your stock has an 1899 cartouche. These means it was an original stock. Since it has no sling swivel on the buttstock, it was from a carbine. :D

Look for these stock features.
1. Barrel band spring. Real carbines have them.

2. Barrel band type. The 1896 and '98 carbine bands have a 'hump' on top to protect the sight. Here is a link to a '98 carbine pic. http://www.kragcollectorsassociation.com/Photos/1898%20Krag%20Carbine.jpg

3. Compare the length between the front of the receiver to the barrel band. Here is a pic of a '99 carbine where this distance is longer than the '98 carbine. http://www.kragcollectorsassociation.com/Photos/1899%20Krag%20Carbine.jpg

4. Does it have a saddle ring or at least the swivel bar on the left side of the stock? Here is a pic of the left side of a '98 carbine. http://www.kragcollectorsassociation.com/Photos/1898%20Krag%20Carbine%20II.jpg

As for the rear sight, congratulations! An unmodified 1898 sight is rather valuable. Now to determine if it is a carbine version. Look for the 'C' stamp at the locations indicated by the red arrows on this pic of carbine sights. http://www.kragcollectorsassociation.com/Photos/carbinesights.JPG
All carbine sights have the 'C' stamp. If it doesn't, it's a rifle sight.
Also, look for the 2 main features that differentiate the 1898 and 1902 sights. The 1898 has 3 sighting slots, the 1902 has only one slot and they often have a pivoting peep plate. The 1902 elevator screw has a 'screwdriver' slot, the 1898 does not.
Many 1898 sights were modified to the 1902 configuration, so a mix of features is possible.
Again, unmodified rifle or carbine 1898 sights are quite valuable.

It sounds like you have a fine gun, but let's see if we can determine what you really have.

Ken