1898 rifle info?

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Art Snellbaker Sr

1898 rifle info?

Post by Art Snellbaker Sr »

I posted the below in Feb and got nor response so am trying again. Any help would be greatly appreciated..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've got a great example of a 1898 rifle. unmodified in anyway. SN# 243592 that has been retrofited with 1902 rear sight and 1902 handguard(I believe). External condiiton is great with fine unmarred patina on all metal parts. Stock has very few nicks. 1899 cartouche is sharp and clear as is circle P. Just in front of P and just behind trigger guard is a stamped number 89.
The only flaw is the bore. While the rifling is clear and sharp there is noticible rusting about midway down the tube. The old soldier still shoots fine but the rusting wont go away despite several scrubbing sessions and electro cleaning.
Can anyone check and see if they have any info on where this old warhourse served? I am extremely proud of the condition and I'd love to have some history to go along with it.
She came out of an old veterans outfit and Lord only knows how long ago they got it.
Thanks for your help.
snell

Travis

Re: 1898 rifle info?

Post by Travis »

Hi Art the springfield research center at {armscollectors.com/srs.htm} has no records of your rifle but there are several very close. Take alook at the above sight it may give a little insight where it MAY have been, but as we all know close is not exact but it is interesting. Sorry I can not help any more than that. Good luck in your search!

Tom_Pearce

Post by Tom_Pearce »

The serial number, to date, has no known history of useage.
Your Model 1898 Rifle was manufactured in the last quarter of 1899 (Oct-Dec) or possibly the first quarter of 1900 (Jan_Mar). Your rifle was originally equipped with the Model 1898 Rear Sight. With the presence of an 1899 cartouche, I would lean towards the stock being original to the rifle.

snell

Post by snell »

Thank you both for your efforts. I appreciate the info and will continue to seek any additional info on the old girl. In the meantime I'll just go on shooting her and enjoy the experience.
Art