Krag 1892/1896 conversion S/N hsitory

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
jdromm

Krag 1892/1896 conversion S/N hsitory

Post by jdromm »

I posted a question on the Krag Forum and nobody replied which I find amazing. I have a Krag 1892/1906 Conversion Krag with a S/N 4544. In the Springfield Research files the closest number is 4537. Noted under that number is " SA ( Packed ) and Company B 320nd Engineers Camp Upton. I would like to know what " SA ( Packed ) means and any info on Company B 302nd Engineers and Camp Upton. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks
Jeff Dromm

Ted Bartke

Re: Krag 1892/1896 conversion S/N hsitory

Post by Ted Bartke »

Jeff: Just a thought: After the Spanish American War veterans formed an organization called the United Spanish War Veterans, a forerunner to the VFW. The various chapters around the country were called camps. Some camps were numbered, e.g., Camp 5, Camp 22; others were named, e.g., Camp Merritt. It is possible that Camp Upton was not a military installation, but rather a name for a USWV chapter. You might check with your state archives to see if they have any info. For example, the PA archives has biographical data on their volunteer units from 1898-1902. Good luck and let me know if you find anything.

Ted

geezmo

Post by geezmo »

I believe Camp Upton was a military base on Long Island during WW I. I don't know how long before the war it existed. Maybe your rifle is on of those issued during WW I for training.

jdromm

Post by jdromm »

Thanks for the responses guys. Any idea what SA Packed Means?

Tom_Pearce

Post by Tom_Pearce »

"SA" = Springfield Armory packed