Tom_Pearce

Observations

Post by Tom_Pearce »

Any observations regarding "Gun Broker Auction # 16501982 ?"

Richard_Sherman

Re: Observations

Post by Richard_Sherman »

Tom:

Nice pictures. At that starting price, a MD seller and the auction ending on Saturday the 20th, It may show up on a table at Timonnium on Sunday. At least that's the only place I'll get to see it.

Keep up the Fire.

Richard Sherman

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

Well Tom it is obviously hard to tell a lot from pictures but here is what strikes me.
The bolt has obviously had some work done, the bolt sleeve and safty are up dated and the finnish on the cocking piece doe not match the wear on the rest of the rifle, which over all does seem to be even. The top view of the reciever doesn't show any obvious fill job for the hold open notch though.
The pics of the forend and front band don't show enough for my eye to detrmine originality, but the finnish on the cleaning rod appears to be "newer" than the rest of the area. The view of the stock toe seems to show a slight bit of rounding at the bottom that might indicate it was cut back to flatten, but not quite compleatly. I didn't see a cartouch on the stock (unless I missed that pic in trying too hard to evaluate the others)
My guess is that it is mostly a M'92 but not compleatly original so not worth all that $$.
So what did I miss Tom??
Ned

Tom_Pearce

Post by Tom_Pearce »

Sleeve appears knurled and should be.
Cocking piece has alot more finish than receiver.
Would like to know if cartouche is readable and does date coincide with serial number.
Cleaning rod head shape questionable.
Front sight blade replaced or upgraded.
Butt plate looks correct.
Serial numbering of internals ended between 11,500 and 11,900.