"Historical" scope mount advice, Part Deux

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
Marine

"Historical" scope mount advice, Part Deux

Post by Marine »

Thanks to both of you for your advice. To answer your questions, the stock is a military cut-down, the sights are original GI. I was looking at the rifle today and reflecting on my shooting, and I noticed that the front sight blade apears to be very slightly bent toward the R, which would place my shots to the L, which is where they were impacting yesterday. I will alter that, but please advise on the following. I was shooting my own reloads of 168 gr. Speer match/32 gr. IMR 4895 on a 100 yard range with no wind. The first 5 rounds did not impact the 4x4 target. At 50 yards the 3-round group was in the lower L corner. Raising the rear sight elevation to 300 yards at the 50 yard line brought my group to 9:00 center, out of the black. My rifle is shooting low. Is it possible that my front sight blade might be too tall? If so, everybody who shot it in the past 100+ years using the iron sights didn't impress many people. I do not have a 300 yard range to test factory BZO. If 220 gr. RN impacts 10-12" high @ 100 yards, and my lighter loads were impacting below the target at 100 yards, a tall FSB may be a culprit. What do you think?