KEEP SEARCHIN...SEARCHIN

Historical threads originally posted to the 'Krag Forum' board
TEXASRADIO

KEEP SEARCHIN...SEARCHIN

Post by TEXASRADIO »

I've lost count how many time I've posted this on different websites, but it's been over a year since the last.

I'm researching a specific KRAG model 1896 that I found in Wyoming in 1999. It was reportedly from a New York estate, no further information available.

Several items with it associated it with a NY National Guard unit from Oswago, NY. I have researched the unit (Company D, 48th Separate Company, 3rd Regiment) and have a good unit history during the SAW. (They were federalized but never left the US.) One item, a medal, states: SOUVENIR, NATIONAL GUARD ENCAMPMENT, Co D, 48th SEPARATE Co., 3rd REGIMENT
On the stock of the rifle, an engraved german silver plate reads: "Second Prize for the Long Range Match of the 1905 Reunion." This plate and engraving appears to be correct to period.

I have had contact with Mssrs; William Mook, Albert Frasca, Dick Branum and several others regarding this rifle but have not succeeded in tracking down the winner. I have also had contact with the NY State Military Museum, who provided a possible encampment site for this unit in 1905 at "Camp Roe" near Farnham, NY. So far, I have not found a contact in this area,( Farnham), to help with the research.

I have a photocopy of the " Adjutant General Report 1905, State of New York". listing various rifle matches for that year, but only listed "Prize, value $100" for them. No mention was made of second place individual winners. An interesting sidebar to the report is a listing of a requisition from the Navy Department for 180 U.S. Magazine rifles, caliber 30 model 1898 with model 1902 rear sights with peep attachments, complete.....$2585.88. ($14.37 ea.).

Mallory's listing of Springfield serial numbers does not include this one. It does indicate that it was manufactured in April, 1896.
The rifle itself is in very fine shape, with a bright bore, small storage dings to the stock, sharp JSA 1896 cartouch, and thinning blueing, but no pitting. It has a 1902 sight, and is very, very accurate with 220 grain round-nose hand loads.

Anyone out there have any other ideas on how to continue with the research on this piece??
E-mail pictures are available.
Regards, TEXASRADIO