got mini me into krags !

U.S. Military Krags
gew98

got mini me into krags !

Post by gew98 »

21 Years ago I had my last Krag(s) . I had a 99 carbine in fair shape and a 98 long rifle not much better. I decided to stick with a different bent and unloaded all my oddball military rifles to pursue another tye of military rifle. Anyhow my son turned 18 several months ago. He had planned to join the army like I did at that tender age... but with our fearless senile leader allowing CRT like politics to punish whites in the ranks for being white...he said no way.
So for some years now I have salted him with all manner of old military rifles and a couple retro AR's like I carried and even got him a tavor bullpuppy and put an acog on it a buddy brought home from the sand box.
He seemed to love the several brit enfields I gave him and then really liked the 1871 Amberg G71 and the 50/70 trapdoor he acquired the past year. Then at the SOS OVMS show in Louisville he really surprised me and dropped $1600 for two Krags. A 98 rifle w/1903 cartouche and a 99 carbine with unlegible cartouche. Both unrefinished and some closet rash with exc bores and unsanded wood. Stopped at our local smithy and he was tickled pink to see old krags got for a bargain. Gave my son two boxes of 30/40 ammo for nothing...did I mention this smithy was a great guy. Anyhow we popped off the ammo a little bit ago and he's cleaning his bang sticks...happy as a lark. He dug out my old krag books and is reading them like homework.

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Re: got mini me into krags !

Post by Ned Butts »

Good work guiding him along!!

gew98

Re: got mini me into krags !

Post by gew98 »

Got around to shooting the krag 99 carbine. Bore was so far gone it keyholed alot !. Not a salvageable bore. Looked for months and got the run around. Recently got a killer deal on an M1A and on an M14 forum a fellow told me the CMP E store sells krag rifle and carbine barrels ready to install and you headspace. Sure enough they have in the white new made to original spec barrels for the krag carbine at $209 post included . Tapped for the rear sight and dovetailed for the front sight !!!. All good now !.