My first Krag

U.S. Military Krags
butlersrangers

Re: My first Krag

Post by butlersrangers »

Front blade on my 1899 carbine.

I don't know if any 1899 blades got marked on left side.

Some 1902 carbine rear-sight bases were stamped on the 'wrong' (left) side.ImageImageImage

Mike4MSU

Post by Mike4MSU »

Sorry, one more question regarding the rear sight. Ive done some searching, but havent found the answer yet. There appears to be a capital letter B on the side of my rear sight located between the 3 and 4. Can someone explain to me what that represents?

Thank you,
Mike

Whig

Post by Whig »

Mike,

The "B" on the side of the rear sight is a "Battle range" mark for 375 yards which was considered a commonly used distance setting for a typical battle range to shoot at. Nothing more.

Hard to say what the two filled holes were from. Almost looks like someone wanted a sling swivel in the wrong place. Maybe someone else has an idea.

Have you been able to find any factory Krag ammo yet?

Hope you plan to shoot the prize soon!

Whig

Post by Whig »

Also, you probably already know that all Krags marked "Model 1899" on the receiver were carbines. The "c" on the front site sure looks like an authentic carbine mark.

Whig

Post by Whig »

Mike,

I have been looking through Mallory's Krag Rifle reference book and on page 145 there is a picture of a Krag rifle attached to an ammunition testing machine at the Frankford Arsenal. The rifle is secured with a metal brace along the stock behind the trigger guard as well as at the point of the rear barrel band.

If you look at your carbine stock, there is an impression and slightly lightened color stock extending from right behind the trigger guard to right past the two filled holes.

My (pure) guess would be that those two holes are filled holes that may have been used to affix the carbine that this stock originally was used for (maybe your carbine) in a similar type machine for testing or fixed shooting purposes. There were some devices used for target shooting in a fixed rest .

Sound plausible?Image

Mike4MSU

Post by Mike4MSU »

Whig, thanks for all the great info, it is greatly appreciated. Ive learned more about Krags and my carbine in one afternoon than I probably could have learned in weeks or more. I think its entirely plausible that the marks were from some form of secured rest or fixture. Thank you for the photo.

I have a friend who owns and shoots several Krags and reloads his own ammo. I have shot his which convinced me to buy this one when it came along. I havent had a chance to shoot it yet, but plan to soon. Ammo is for available locally, though its not cheap. Reloading may be my next investment...

Mike

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Many model 1899 carbines were altered by civilian owners to satisfy personal tastes.

I suspect those two plugged holes on Mike's stock could be the remains of where a wood or metal pistol-grip was anchored.

A surplus metal grip for the model 1873 Springfield use to be readily available. One of these could have been screwed to Mike's stock and repositioned for a better 'feel'. Such a device could have made depressions in the wood similar to those on the stock in question. Image

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'Mike4MSU' - I posted more pictures of my 1899 carbine front-sight on my earlier post for your review.

FWIW - The rear mounting screw, on your 1901 carbine rear-sight, appears to be standing 'proud'. The screw head should be flush with the top of the sight base.
Possibly the wrong Krag sight screw has been used. (Some 1892-1896 sight- screws have a thicker head).

Your Krag model 1899 carbine, (serial number - 279965), likely was assembled around August, 1900, to September, 1900. This is just after the model 1898 carbine rear-sigh was discontinued.

It is possible, the initial sight on your carbine was the model 1896 carbine-sight. It is also probable, that your carbine was updated to the 1901 sight early in its service.

You have a nice model 1899 carbine. The only change, I would make, would be that tall rear-sight screw.

Attached photos showing correct 1901 sight screws.ImageImage

Local Boy

Post by Local Boy »

More about the Engineer Carbine taken from Mallory's "The Krag Rifle Story", 2nd edition, page 105.Image

Mike4MSU

Post by Mike4MSU »

Local Boy - Thanks for the info on the engineers modification for some Krag Carbines.

Local Boy, Whig and Butlers Rangers - Upon closer inspection of the two indentation marks behind the trigger guard, it is indeed two holes that were filled. IF this was one of the engineers carbines modified in the field, I wonder if it was the rear sling cutting jig that created the two holes.

Butlers Rangers - I removed the rear screw that was standing proud of the 1901 rear sight base. The head of the screw is too large to fit in the recess pocket of the sight base, although it looks to be the same age and patina as the rest of the carbine and sight. I went to grandpas parts and a few other places that might have the correct screw, but could only find the original longer front screws or reproduction rear screws. Until I find an original rear screw, Ill likely leave the current one in place. Thanks for identifying the improper screw.

Mike