My first Krag

U.S. Military Krags
butlersrangers

Re: My first Krag

Post by butlersrangers »

'Mike' - Thin headed Krag sight screws are relatively common, since at least one is used with all Krag rear sight models.

S&S Firearms (Glendale, N.Y.) has repro screws and some originals. Their catalog is viewable online.

There are a couple of vendors in the KCA 'Classifieds' that can likely supply the correct screw.

The part shows up on ebay from time to time.

Mike4MSU

Post by Mike4MSU »

I truly appreciate everyones input, comments and education. Im attaching a couple more photos.

There was a 3 piece cleaning rod and oiler in the butt of the stock, I can attach photos if anyone is interested, but assume its nothing unusual. What I did notice is that there is the number 16 with a 44 underneath it. Any significance to the number inside the butt door?

While not the best, Ive also attached a photo of the bore. Under light, theres a couple of spots within the first 1/2 or so of the bore which you can see in the photo. After that, its quite clean and fairly shiny. Rifling is very strong throughout.

I also took the advise from butlersrangers and found a correct period original 1901 rear sight screw which I hope to receive shortly.

MikeImageImage

Whig

Post by Whig »

Bore is always hard to evaluate by these pictures. Looks good enough to be a good shooter. I got a nice Hawkeye borescope years ago which was one of my best non-firearm investments for my shooting hobby and business. We all know, though, that even a bad bore can shoot quite well. You just need to test different loads in your Krag to find which bullet and powder combination shoots best with your Krag. That's a big part of the fun of Krag collecting.

Those numbers on the butt plate cover are meaningless. There are some reproduction cleaning rods and oilers out there but most of what you may find around are authentic. They're nice to have for your Krag.

Thanks for sharing your pictures. Keep us informed about any further experiences. If one of us can help, we'll do our best.

Local Boy

Post by Local Boy »

The butt caps were hand fitted to the butt plate and both stamped with matching numbers.

Your butt plate should have the same numbers arranged in a similar pattern as your butt plate cover.

Always nice to find the cleaning rods and oiler in the butt stock... Unfortunately for me it's always an added expense :'(... currently averaging $50 bucks a pop for a set.

Kooler

Post by Kooler »

It`s too bad that Lee still does not make the Lee Loader in 30-40. I started reloading with one almost 50 years ago with one for my sporter `98 . That was the first reloading that I ever did and it filled the bill for an inexpensive outfit that worked quite well.

Mike4MSU

Post by Mike4MSU »

Ive currently got my eye on a Dillon 550 for about $260. Doesnt have the 30-40 dies with it, but at a retail price of $1.60 to $2.00 it wouldnt take much to pay for itself. Especially if I were to load 45-70 as well.

Mike

Whig

Post by Whig »

I've always used my single stage outfit for reloading my 30-40 Krag and other large rifle cartridges that I want consistent accuracy with. I just like a little more attention to each operation. I weigh out each load very carefully with most rifle rounds, especially when loading for long distance precision shooting.

But, you can't go wrong with Dillon's "No Bull$$it" guarantee! They have saved me many times over the years. I have loaded many tens of thousands of rounds on my Dillon XL650 press. Make sure you check powder weights for your loads and recheck frequently. Sometimes small variations can affect accuracy a lot.

Good luck! Keep us informed of the results.

Mike4MSU

Post by Mike4MSU »

Local Boy - As a follow up to your posted article on the engineer carbine, would you also be willing to post the information on the engineering sling referenced in Chapter 17?

Thank you,
Mike

Local Boy

Post by Local Boy »

Here ya go Mike.

Here's a site that has an example of one:

https://www.bidsquare.com/online-auctions/cowans/krag-rifle-slings-lot-of-three-274742Image

Mike4MSU

Post by Mike4MSU »

Local Boy - Thank you very much, I couldnt find any information online. Sounds like my next purchase should be a book on Krags. If you were to buy one, which book would it be?

Mike