Springfield Research Service 4 Volumes

U.S. Military Krags
CoRifleman

Re: Springfield Research Service 4 Volumes

Post by CoRifleman »

Whig - Thank you for bringing this back up. Researching - when there's a trail - is a joy. Thank you again. I do believe I'll hold off on any posts until I have my carbine in hand, but hope to have some good information laid out by then. I DID find that the Lt Gignoux, who led the First Nev Vol Cav Troop A until the Fall of 1899 when the unit shipped home, went on to lead the last ever US Cavalry charge as leader of the 11th US Cavalry in Dec of 1899. He passed away in 1956 iirc. He's the one that wrote the letter that was published in the paper about Troop A being outfitted with Krags in June of 1899. Interestingly, most of Troop A was shipped home in Fall of 1899. However, a pretty healthy number of Troop A volunteers went on to re-enlist and joined the 11th US Cav (Gignoux's new unit) and would have participated in that final US Cavalry charge.

I'm hoping the SRS crew - or perhaps another paid researcher - can locate whatever document contains my serial. If I can place it in the hands of a specific cavalryman, then I can see if that cavalryman stayed on with the 11th and their historic charge.

A surprising number of the soldiers remained in the Philippines after the war. It was described as terrible, but I guess it couldn't have been too bad. Most stated they could earn more money there than they could've in the States.

The most prolific researcher of the Nevada volunteers in the Span-Am war, Phillip Earl, passed away in 2019.

Whig

Post by Whig »

Is the Springfield Research group still providing documentation for requests like yours? I haven't kept up with them.

pickax

Post by pickax »

Just updated my post on page two with a hot link for any who may want it.

CoRifleman

Post by CoRifleman »

Whig wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:54 pm Is the Springfield Research group still providing documentation for requests like yours? I haven't kept up with them.
On their website they say they do, but I understand it's very different than when Mallory was there