Bluing Krag Receiver

U.S. Military Krags
Jason60chev

Bluing Krag Receiver

Post by Jason60chev »

Hello Krag Friends,

New guy here.

Am working on a project with a stripped 1896 Krag receiver that has little finish and some slight pitting. I wish to blue it.

Have been watching some videos of Home Blueing processes and thought that I would try it....to save money. This is not a restoration nor will it be some historical rifle. It will be a parts assembled, carbine length, "Let's build a fun shooter" project.

One of the video mentioned "Hydrogen Embrittlement" that can occur during these bluing process, whereby the previously hardened metal may become more brittle and could possibly crack. It is my understanding that the Krag receivers were color case hardened. Has anyone ever heard of this?

Do any of you have any experience with bluing a Krag receiver and can provide a process that you may have used at home or any other information that would be helpful.

Thank you,
Jason

Whig

Re: Bluing Krag Receiver

Post by Whig »

Sounds like a fun project to undertake. Hopefully someone here can help. But, whatever you do, can you take before and after pictures to share your work with us and let us watch your progress?

Might want to put "before" pictures up now to get feedback on its current condition overall. Might have some other options or suggestions. Not all wear is bad wear. Might want to keep it the way it is!

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

When Krags were built, very few of the parts were 'blued' and the process, (not the color), was called 'browning'.

The parts that come to mind that were rust 'blued' (browned) are the barrel, trigger-guard, some sight parts, the front barrel-band, butt-plate, magazine cut-off lever and some screws.

The extractor was given a 'flame blue'.

The bolt-body, springs, and some rear-sight surfaces were 'in the white'.

The receiver, bolt-collar, safety-lever, magazine-gate, side-plate, and many small parts were casehardened. (In time, the case-colors took on a silvery color).

IIRC - Hydrogen Embrittlement is caused by acids acting on steel and depleting certain elements in the alloy and changing its properties. I believe fire and Naval Jelly can also do this.

I don't think this effect is related to steel being casehardened. It can 'attack' most steel alloys. (Just my perception and I am certainly not a metallurgist).

FWIW - I enjoy the mixture of colors and patina found on the metal of most Krags. Homogeneous 'Bluing' just never looks right to me.

craigster

Post by craigster »

Look up "cold rust bluing". It's not all that hard to do.

Products and instructions @ http://www.rustblue.com/

Great products, and, Bob is definitely one of the good guys.

Jason60chev

Post by Jason60chev »

I watched that video on the C&Rsenal segment. Am thinking of doing Rust bluing at home, to reduce costs for this.

Look up "cold rust bluing". It's not all that hard to do.

Products and instructions @ http://www.rustblue.com/

Great products, and, Bob is definitely one of the good guys.

Jason60chev

Post by Jason60chev »

I would love to do that, but the best I would be able to do is post pics of the parts as i buy them, now. I work in Afghansitan and will not be "Hands on" with this project until late next October.

Do you know if the Crtierion barrels sold by the CMP are any good? I have been reading that there are "issues" with them.....incorrect bore/groove diamenters.....rear sight screw holes/threads not compatible with original screws, etc.

I have recenlty bought a cut down rifle barrel which is in good condition and was going to use that. Just have to install a 1903 sight base.

Should be acquiring an 1896 stripped receiver which has near no finish and some light pitting, but otherwise in good condition. Other receiver parts may be in same condition, but if I can find some nicer, I may not refinish them.

Sounds like a fun project to undertake. Hopefully someone here can help. But, whatever you do, can you take before and after pictures to share your work with us and let us watch your progress?

Might want to put "before" pictures up now to get feedback on its current condition overall. Might have some other options or suggestions. Not all wear is bad wear. Might want to keep it the way it is!

Jason60chev

Post by Jason60chev »

Here is the stripped receiver......

Jason60chev

Post by Jason60chev »

Just picked up this bolt........

ImageImageImage

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'jason' - You may want to look for a nicer receiver, more in keeping with the good original condition of your other parts.

Your bolt and cut-down barrel look quite attractive, but, your receiver is one of the worst, condition-wise, that I have seen.

Stripped Krag receivers are not hard to find and show up cheap at gun shows.

Criterion barrels are excellent and a true .308" diameter in the grooves. The sight holes do use a modern thread. The barrel comes 'in the white' and without a front-sight. They are 'short-chambered' and probably require 'finish reaming'. All this adds to expense and requires skilled labor.

Whig

Post by Whig »

Gee,
with all of the people buying Krags and stripping them to sell the parts for profit on ebay and Gun Broker, you'd think there would be a ton of receivers out there that people want to get rid of that they can't sell as easily.

Here's a guy (link below) from ebay who was trying to sell a "barrel" for a Krag that, surprisingly, still was attached to the receiver! I think ebay shut him down. Selling serialized receivers is definitely a "no-no" on ebay. I guess the BATFE wouldn't care as much because it was supposedly an antique from before 1899. But, these receivers are out there.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KRAG-RIFLE-30-40-SPRINGFIELD-barrel-trigger-1894-96fallower-amp-side-plate-parts-/292820610822?hash=item442d77ef06%3Ag%3ABHMAAOSwew1b73Co&nma=true&si=Mw3cvMJEDBSC8%252FSIbpLRfTAgkDs%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557