1898 Krag Missing Serial # Question

U.S. Military Krags
Marksc

1898 Krag Missing Serial # Question

Post by Marksc »

Just acquired 1898 Krag. with all the research I was able to find online, it appears to be a 1898 carbine. correct 22" barrel, correct unmodified stock but one thing odd. It does not have a serial # stamped on receiver next to Model 1898 US Springfield Armory. Any Ideas?

Additional Pictures can be seen at:

https://files.secureserver.net/0fL8BUYphzZBKRImage

FredC

Re: Krag Serial # Question

Post by FredC »

We all like to see pictures of nice looking Krag carbines. The regulars are here are good at solving mysteries, so please get us some photos.

I had to send an email in the middle of typing the short reply and your photo was there when I finished.
I remember someone else had one with no serial number, forgot the details of why.

butlersrangers

Re: Krag Missing Serial # Question

Post by butlersrangers »

'Marksc' - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

I think the logical answer is that someone (God knows why?) removed the serial number from your Krag's receiver. It should be where there is a vague 'cross like' shadow area on your receiver.

Your nice carbine stock is the later type (1899) 'long forearm' stock. These often were used as replacements, during refurbishment or repair of model 1898 carbines, to make them identical to the model 1899 carbine.

Is there a cartouche mark or 'proof P' stamp on your stock?

Is your model 1896 rear-sight a rifle or carbine sight?

Your side-plate screw appears overly long and your magazine cut-off lever is missing. This suggests to me that someone had a Redfield 'no-drill' peep-sight (102-K or 70-K) on this carbine for 'Hunting', at some time.

ImageImageImage

98src

Re: 1898 Krag Missing Serial # Question

Post by 98src »

Is that a M1892 sight?

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

It looks like a model 1896 rifle sight without its 'slide'.Image

Marksc

Post by Marksc »

The receiver has no distortion from round finish or flat area from any numbers being ground off. A perfect finish. The sight is a 1986 with a C stamped on the side. The cutout I removed because it felt like it was sticking. Appears to be a little bent. Would like to replace. There is no cartouche or P on stock. Just behind the trigger guard is a stamped 50.

FredC

Post by FredC »

"I think the logical answer is that someone (God knows why?) removed the serial number from your Krag's receiver. It should be where there is a vague 'cross like' shadow area on your receiver." Quoting BR
If someone ground and buffed the number out, there would be a major depression. A strait edge/ruler would show up such a depressed area. Lay the ruler length wise above and below the stamped area and it should show up easily.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Model 1896 carbine rear-sights are quite valuable. (The carbine 'slide' is different than the rifle slide).

Carbine sights have been faked.

There is a good feature (on sights and model '96 fakes) on the KCA Website main page, accessed by using the 'photos' tab.

The shaft of your magazine cut-off lever can be easily straightened. Use a copper, brass or plastic mallet and pound it 'true' on a hardwood surface.ImageImage

Marksc

Post by Marksc »

Just placed a engineers straight edge on receiver from 8 oclock to 12 oclock position. Dead straight. Never any numbers stamped on this one.

Marksc

Post by Marksc »

That's it, just missing slide. Thank You for all the input. New to this site.