1898 Krag Missing Serial # Question

U.S. Military Krags
Marksc

Re: 1898 Krag Missing Serial # Question

Post by Marksc »

One thing about it guys, you know your stuff. No, I have not fired it. Just got it and wanted to break it down and clean and inspect it good before that. I appreciate all your input and Thank You.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'Marksc' - Someone gouged a lot of wood from your stock in order to 'fit' the unfinished 'left rear-corner' area of your receiver.

BTW - Model 1896 Krag actions were machined pretty much the same as model 1898 actions in that area. In fact a model 1898 action will fit into a model 1896 stock. (However, Springfield did not use this arrangement). A model 1896 Krag will not fit into a model 1898 stock, without alteration, because the receiver is different at the bolt handle 'recess'.

Attached is a photo of a model 1898 stock showing the appearance of the normal receiver inletting. Image

BW

Post by BW »

Any opinions as to how this might affect the legality of owning or selling the rifle in question? If it is unnumbered it is impossible to say whether or not federal law classifies it as an antique. If it had a number which has been removed, it could mean big trouble. If the number was left off for some reason, then what?

Marksc

Post by Marksc »

Already thought of this. We are located in the middle of GM town. And like others have many friends. It is going to have receiver x-rayed in **** plant tomorrow which will tell the truth. All measurements and test tonight prove to this point it has not been ground or altered.

Marksc

Post by Marksc »

Oops, maybe GM, Ford or Chryler.

Marksc

Post by Marksc »

Pic showing bottom of receiver.Image

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Lots of U.S. rifles and shotguns were made in the early 1900s without serial numbers. Licensed dealers, FBI, and BATF know that not all firearms were made with a serial number and they have a process for NSN (no serial number) arms.

I would nothave legal worries about the lack of a serial number on this model 1898 Krag. It never had one.

Attached picture of a model 1899 receiver bottom for comparison with OP's.ImageImage

FredC

Post by FredC »

I would not worry about the lack of a serial number either. This thing was built by the government and released to be distributed by the DCM to end up in the hands of civilians.

Another disquieting thought, maybe the step was not forgotten but another defect was encountered and the step skipped on purpose. Were the proof marks just done on the barrel? Was the barrel from another gun and this receiver never proofed?
If a dangerous defect was detected and the receiver was not completed on purpose then it should not have been heat treated. Since mark is having tests run checking for heat treat would be in order. My self I would try a small file test in an obscure area of the receiver, at a automotive lab they will have hardness testers but they will have to keep in mind the shallow case with a very soft core is normal for Krags. It will be very different than the modern automotive steels made today.
Right now I am inclined to think the DCM/NRA, Bannerman, or Stokes made a custom stock for the carbine and released a safe gun to the public.
But as Charlie Brown said "It is a mystery."

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Where in Automobile Land are you located? Both Butlersrangers and I live relatively close to the big D. Perhaps a physical inspection might reveal some additional insight. Plus... it's always great to get together at a range occasionally!

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I believe Mark said there was a "P" on the receiver ring, which makes this whole circumstance more curious.

You would think someone should have noticed things were not quite right prior to heat-treat. Possibly, this is revealing of the speed and volume of the work at SA!

I bet someone got yelled at in the Hill Shops! A lot of effort went into reducing that 6 and 1/2 pound forging into an almost finished receiver.

Hey, 119 out of 120 operations ain't bad.

I doubt that Mark's Krag was completed into a finished arm at Springfield. I doubt it was ever sold by the DCM.

It seems plausible it was salvaged by one of the surplus dealers, who bought the Armory's obsolete parts, finished and unfinished.

'FredC's' suggestions about testing receiver's hardness are good ones.

p.s. This is fun!