Krag 1899 Oiler and Cleaning Rods

U.S. Military Krags
Lostinidaho

Re: Krag 1899 Oiler and Cleaning Rods

Post by Lostinidaho »

Maybe I don't have the right oiler. Mine looks like the oiler that is in 1903, 1917, M1-Garand. If I look at liberty tree collectors' pictures it looks smaller than mine. So I might/must have the wrong one.

Knute1

Post by Knute1 »

Guess I never tried fishing my oiler out of the butt trap. I'll have to try it. Here are some dimensions for the oiler below. (The shell is 0.46" diameter. The cap is 0.56" diameter. Overall length is 3.25")
Attachments
Oiler.jpg
Oiler.jpg (91.32 KiB) Viewed 2170 times

Lostinidaho

Post by Lostinidaho »

That is much smaller than what I have. So that makes sense why it doesn't fit.

Mine is 3/4" in diameter by 5" long. But is only and oiler, no compartment for a cleaning brush and cord. I thought that it would hold a lot of oil for just one rifle.

So the other hole bored into the stock behind the but plate. (1" diameter and 5" deep), what was it for? Lighten the weight of the stock.

Knute1

Post by Knute1 »

Yes, that sounds like a lightening hole.

leadhead

Post by leadhead »

Didn't the carbines only have 2 cleaning rods? The oiler goes in first
and lays in the small hollow, then the rods go in. The rods have to
removed before you can remove the oiler.
Denny

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

A model 1899 carbine stock should be able to accommodate the Krag Oil-Bottle and three cleaning-rod pieces.

The oil-bottle is inserted first (cap at rear) and the three rod-sections next.

Just a WAG - Maybe you have a 1903 Springfield Cleaning Kit & Oil Bottle? Those things are huge and not intended for the Krag!

The Krag Oil-Bottle is quite slender. Here is a picture of things in place:
Attachments
krag-stuff in place.JPG
krag-stuff in place.JPG (93.95 KiB) Viewed 2136 times

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Except for a TINY surviving number of VERY early "1895 Variant" carbines, three holes were drilled for the rods, though only two sections were provided. That was because a common drilling jig was used for all arms.

The two-holers have thin wrists (but not all thin-wrists are two-holers!) and the holes are one above another, it is not just the bottom two holes of the later arms. Of course they are not prepped for the oiler. The late Bill Mook was quite excited to hear of my 24893, according to him only a handful (literally) have survived.

Chuck is right and I was wrong about the oiler insertion - small end has to be to rear to allow for the swelled heads on the rods.

Lostinidaho

Post by Lostinidaho »

I definitely have the wrong oiler. I will have to get the right one.

Dick Hosmer---by the way are you related to Ralph S. Hosmer (1874-1963). Hosmer was the first Superintendent of Forestry of the Territory of Hawai‘i

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Just to clarify, Dick was correct the first time.
(He has apparently misread my post or photo and second guessed himself).

FWIW - I have always inserted the Krag oil bottle small end first and the Knurled cap pointing rearward. Everything fits, so I've stayed with this.

In the photo, I attached, you can see the Knurled cap.

BTW - I stuff a folded cleaning-patch in the Krag butt-trap, to quiet the rod-sections and oiler. This cushions the accessories from being 'peened' against the butt-trapdoor.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Yes I am, but VERY, VERY distantly. Two Hosmer brothers came over early, Thomas to Hartford CT in 1632, James to Concord MA in 1635. I am a "James", but Ralph must have been a "Thomas" since he does not appear in the "James" genealogy. At least one Hosmer from my side worked at SA from 1809 to 1923 - the record for one surname.