Rehabing a cut-down

U.S. Military Krags
butlersrangers

Rehabing a cut-down

Post by butlersrangers »

I got back to working on a 'stock-stretch', using a replacement forearm I got from Numrich Arms for $46.

I had another 'cut-down' model 1898 stock, that was in nicer shape, than the one that came on this project rifle.
It was also a better match with the rifle's hand-guard.

I felt no guilt; both stocks had a '1902 acceptance cartouche' and the one being used is more worthy of restoration.

Some photos are attached that show use of the bayonet to locate the position of the front-band.
The rear barrel-band is used as a straight-edge to 'scribe' pencil lines on the wood, (stock and replacement forearm), to locate the saw cuts.

The pieces of blue tape, on the barrel, mark the location for the front-band and the location of the forearm splice.
This aided in marking the new forearm for cutting to proper length.
Attachments
a project-2.jpg
a project-2.jpg (70.63 KiB) Viewed 2485 times
a project-5.jpg
a project-5.jpg (109.95 KiB) Viewed 2485 times
a project-4.jpg
a project-4.jpg (91.76 KiB) Viewed 2485 times
a project-6.jpg
a project-6.jpg (122.01 KiB) Viewed 2485 times
a project-7.jpg
a project-7.jpg (111.69 KiB) Viewed 2485 times
Last edited by butlersrangers on Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FredC

Re: Rehabing a cut-down

Post by FredC »

Nice work and it looks like it will finish very well. This restoration does need its own thread to be easily found for future reference.
That being said, I thought I saw these photos on another thread an hour or two ago and now they are here and not there. Did you pull some magic to do that?

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

FredC:

I did post this, earlier today, on a thread down in "modified & unofficial Krags".

That thread was getting too long and I didn't want to interfere with the direction the OP was going, with re-boring Krags.
I deleted my earlier post and just re-did it as a new topic.

I wanted to share with others the availability of the cheaper replacement forearms from Numrich and a couple of 'tricks', I thought of and used, to make a 'stretch job' a bit easier.

'Stretching' a Krag stock does not require a machine shop or large power tools. The 'pre-shaped' walnut forearms and epoxy-bedding make the project doable with hand tools and a Power-Drill.
Attachments
a project-1a.jpg
a project-1a.jpg (72.37 KiB) Viewed 2463 times

Kerz

Post by Kerz »

I really enjoy a good restoration story.
Vic
Preparedness + Opportunity= Luck

NRA Benefactor Member
KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Great post! I wonder if Numrich would sell a stretcher without the final lightening cut? Guess I'll ask them - though there are (more complicated to be be sure) ways of getting around that issue, at least from an externally visible standpoint.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

IMHO - I'm sure Numrich is a vendor and not the maker.

It would probably be better to contact Schwartz in the KCA 'classifieds' and inquire about a forearm 'without the lightening-cuts'?

Local Boy

Post by Local Boy »

Another GREAT stretch job Chuck!

From now on you'll be known as Charles "Stretch" MacArthur.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I believe, we have another KCA member with the "Stretch" handle.

Barnacle59

Post by Barnacle59 »

Good morning...for those of us lacking a bayonet but using the same forend idea you had...what is the correct measurement from the front of the muzzle to the end of the forend wood?? Thanks!

Whig

Post by Whig »

Good morning and welcome to KCA Mr. Barnacle.

There are very slight variations depending on wear and mounting differences but I get 3 1/8 (3.114-3.164 spread on three checked) inches on my unmolested Krag rifles, measuring from the front of the wood stock, which should be flush with the front end of the front barrel band, to the very front surface of the crowned muzzle.

This will vary with Krag rifles with cut down barrels, altered stocks and rifles with significant wear or damage. I assumed the measurement would be different on an early M1892 Krag with the flat muzzle but when I checked mine, they were the same measurement to the end of the flat muzzle. Very well engineered rifles!

Hope this helps!