1899 Philippines Constabulary Carbine Production Numbers

U.S. Military Krags
skillest

Re: 1899 Philippines Constabulary Carbine Production Numbers

Post by skillest »

Yeah the labelling of those charts is indeed odd, but thanks for clarifying that for me, and providing this information! It is very helpful.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Here are some real Philippine Constabulary Rifles (circa 1914-20):
Attachments
PC-PI-sgt agaya-e1.jpg
PC-PI-sgt agaya-e1.jpg (495.65 KiB) Viewed 1917 times
PC-sgt agaya-edit-1.jpg
PC-sgt agaya-edit-1.jpg (242.55 KiB) Viewed 1917 times
PC Target Pract-Luzon-TBW3.jpg
PC Target Pract-Luzon-TBW3.jpg (150.35 KiB) Viewed 1917 times

Baltimoreed

Post by Baltimoreed »

Hey guys, has anyone ever actually written to the historians of these universities asking if they have any records of serial numbers of the school rifles that were once in their possession? Or is this a dumb question and the records stored in the attic were eaten by mice 50 years ago.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'Baltimoreed', that is a very interesting idea. Archives could exist.

Girard College (Philadelphia) dropped the 'military thing' in 1969. Military Drill was viewed as incompatible with the general philosophy of the school.
Girard changed from its founder's mission, of providing a privately endowed education for white fatherless boys. The school became open to under-privileged students of all races and genders.

Northwestern Military Academy moved from Chicago to Lake Geneva, Wisconsin and merged with a naval school. It still exists and could have a treasure trove of documents related to 'military bicycle' maneuvers, Armored Vehicle involvement, and armaments.

RicKrager

Post by RicKrager »

I am added a photo to this but I fear my skill level may not be up to the test. We shall see. The image is entitled “Philippine Constabulary in Calisthenic Drill.” This came from a book I picked up in my travels. The Copyright date is 1904, the book entitled “Greatest Of Expositions” “Louisiana Purchase Exposition” Published by the South San Francisco Public Library. In the full value image it seems they are exercising with Krags. The first try the resolution was too high. I sent this low res with a round-about method. I do not know the upper limit. If someone wants a full resolution version, send me a PM and we can try that route.

Rick
Attachments
IMG_1634.png
IMG_1634.png (469.76 KiB) Viewed 1864 times

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Rick - I believe the picture, you have posted, was taken at the 1904 World's Fair, at St. Louis, Missouri, (or in route to the Fair).

There were military parades at the 1904 St. Louis Fair, in addition to, a huge "native village" display, showcasing some of the primitive native peoples of U.S. Territories and Possessions.

The PC Band and 200 constables were present. Also present, were 500 Philippine Scouts and their band.
Attachments
PC or Scouts Band 1904 st.louis.jpg
PC or Scouts Band 1904 st.louis.jpg (112.64 KiB) Viewed 1864 times
Philippine Constabulary Band 1904 St. Louis visit.png
Philippine Constabulary Band 1904 St. Louis visit.png (198 KiB) Viewed 1864 times

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I believe 'RicKrager' posted a picture of Philippine Scouts, shown exercising with rifles over their heads.

Attached is another picture taken at the same location, identified as, Philippine Scouts doing "Bolo Drill". (The carbines on the ground are Krag cavalry carbines).

The Philippine Scouts were part of the U.S. Army. Historians, who have studied the PS units, usually report the Scouts were armed with 'trap-door' carbines, later replaced with 1903 Springfield rifles, and eventually M1 Garands. The Krag was not 'officially issued' to the Philippine Scout units, except for two minor exceptions.

Some authorities report, that the Scouts' 'trap-door' Springfield carbines were temporarily replaced with Krag carbines, during the 1904 St. Louis World's Fair.
This was done for "show" at the Fair; also, the "bolo drill" was contrived to entertain the 'Public'.
The Krag was not issued to the Scouts back in the Philippines.

This all seems supported by photography. In attached parade photos, taken at the 1904 World's Fair, the 'helmeted' Philippine Scouts are shouldering Krag cavalry carbines. In other pictures taken at the Fair, the scouts in 'service caps' clearly have 'trap-door' carbines.

The other issue of Krags involves some members of the "Macabebe Scouts", (the Macabebe were likely the 'original' Philippine Scout unit).
A small force of Macabebe Scouts were briefly issued regular Krag rifles, as part of Funston's deception plan, that resulted in the capture of Aguinaldo, during the Insurrection.
The Scouts were disguised as "insurrectionists", who appeared to have captured an American officer and some service men. It was a ruse, that successfully got the 'task force' into Aguinaldo's hideout.
Attachments
Philippine Scouts Bolo Drill 1904 St. Louis Fair.jpg
Philippine Scouts Bolo Drill 1904 St. Louis Fair.jpg (60.7 KiB) Viewed 1848 times
PS 1904 St.Louis.jpg
PS 1904 St.Louis.jpg (86.51 KiB) Viewed 1848 times
Philippine Scouts 1905 trap-door carbines.jpg
Philippine Scouts 1905 trap-door carbines.jpg (136.86 KiB) Viewed 1848 times
Philippine Scouts parade 1904 St Louis Expo.jpg
Philippine Scouts parade 1904 St Louis Expo.jpg (54.3 KiB) Viewed 1848 times
Last edited by butlersrangers on Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:39 am, edited 8 times in total.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Rick's rifle exercise/drill photo and the 'bolo drill' photo were likely taken at the Philippine display, during the 1904 St. Louis World's Fair.

Attached map shows military parade grounds in distance, that probably were site of drill photos.
Over 500 Philippine Scouts and 200 Philippine Constabulary members were housed at the Fair.

It is a bit tricky sorting-out and not mixing-up photos of Philippine Scouts with Philippine Constabulary. With both groups present at the 1904 St. Louis Event, it can get pretty messy identifying the Filipino units.

It is quite hard to 'ID' rifle types in some of the photographs. There is even some very 'grainy' movie footage of parading troops at the 1904 Fair. (It can be found on 'youtube').
Attachments
Philippine exposition ad.jpg
Philippine exposition ad.jpg (74.46 KiB) Viewed 1825 times
Philippine villages ticket.jpg
Philippine villages ticket.jpg (8.8 KiB) Viewed 1825 times
PhilippineExpoMap.JPG
PhilippineExpoMap.JPG (746.73 KiB) Viewed 1825 times
Philippine Scouts Bolo Drill 1904 St. Louis Fair.jpg
Philippine Scouts Bolo Drill 1904 St. Louis Fair.jpg (60.7 KiB) Viewed 1825 times
World's Fair 1904 parade film.jpg
World's Fair 1904 parade film.jpg (64.99 KiB) Viewed 1825 times

Baltimoreed

Post by Baltimoreed »

This is exactly what I would use a time machine for. Going to the 1904 Exposition. Neat stuff

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

"Meet me in St. Louie, Louie" .... er ... Mr. Peabody.

We can buy ice cream cones and ride the Ferris Wheel and make side-trips to see Geronimo, as well as, see the Olympic Games, too!

DANG .... Michigan Governor shut me down, again! ..... "Covid-Carrying Time Travelers pose a risk to Humanity".
Attachments
Doc and Marty-ed.jpg
Doc and Marty-ed.jpg (13.89 KiB) Viewed 1786 times