Building rear sight

U.S. Military Krags
butlersrangers

Re: Building rear sight

Post by butlersrangers »

I'm sorry to say: 'geofois' front-sight base is not correct. The barrel is not a carbine barrel.

It appears the barrel has been shortened, re-crowned, and a partial front-sight base was obviously re-attached.
Attachments
geofois krag front sight.jpg
geofois krag front sight.jpg (248.97 KiB) Viewed 1524 times
Last edited by butlersrangers on Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Reproduction Krag sight-screws can be purchased off ebay and from S&S Firearms, Glendale, N.Y.

For the model 1896 sight, the rear screw is short with a thin head, that fits 'flush', when installed.
The front screw is longer and has a tall 'head' that stands proud above the sight-base when tight.
Attachments
ng-carb1.jpg
ng-carb1.jpg (125.91 KiB) Viewed 1522 times

geofois

Post by geofois »

Some better pics of the front sight. What I noticed when I googled after getting it was that the front sights of other krags had a longer front sight base. Are you pointing at the base or that it looks more rough where it's mounted? I'm surprised they didn't do the usual thing and put a 1903 front sight but I guess they'd have to turn the barrel to make it thinner. Someone went though a lot to remake a carbine, but I guess this was how it was done. Are you sure this isn't want is done when they officially converted rifles into carbines?
krag front sight (3).jpg
krag front sight (3).jpg (92.54 KiB) Viewed 1519 times
krag front sight (2).jpg
krag front sight (2).jpg (79.96 KiB) Viewed 1519 times
krag front sight (1).jpg
krag front sight (1).jpg (72.09 KiB) Viewed 1519 times

FredC

Post by FredC »

We have discussed the possibility of salvaging the front sight and silver soldering it back to a carbine barrel. With a triangle shaped file or a dovetail cutter in a mill can make a very nice faux carbine barrel. Today it would more costly with labor than fitting a 1903 sight, but it would look better. Here we would not try to deceive anyone, just make the faux carbine a little more correct looking.

geofois

Post by geofois »

I found a place selling new repro handguards. An 1898 is $95 with shipping so I can stain it and put the 1898 base and at least that will match. In the long run I'll do that and shoot the heck out of it. I'm totally fine with it. I wish it was the $2k+ rifle I thought it was but I only paid $2k for it and a 1903 all original. Is the barrel band correct for it?

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

We always prefer helping someone "vet" a Krag, before it is purchased.

It is no fun being the bearer of disappointing news about someone's new acquisition.

Springfield Armory did not make carbines or carbine barrels by shortening Krag rifle barrels.

Around 1927, the Director of Civilian Marksmanship was directing the sale of Krag rifles and carbines to NRA members. The Krag rifles were being sold for $1.50. Carbines sold for more and the supply was being exhausted.

To meet demand, Benicia Arsenal from where NRA sales were shipped, was directed to offer conversion of rifles into improvised "carbines".
These so called NRA or DCM carbines were for private sale to NRA members.
The rifle stocks were cut to carbine length and the exposed channel at the stock-tip was filled with a wood plug.
The barrel was shortened to 22", re-crowned, and a 1903 Springfield 'banded' front sight was fitted.

The purchaser was charged $2.00 for this conversion work, over the $1.50 cost of the rifle.
This was not a military arm, but, a conversion, for sporting pursuits.
The style was widely imitated by gunsmiths and civilians.

It would appear your Krag is an assembly, of carbine and altered rifle parts, put together to mimic a military carbine.
Your barrel-band is a model 1899 carbine barrel-band and is correct for your stock.
The front-sight base is a Krag base that has been 'reshaped' and fitted into a hand filed 'dovetail'.

A photo of a correct carbine front-sight is attached. Note near invisible lines of Armory dovetail & bronze brazing.
Attachments
krag_99-blade-ed2_001.jpg
krag_99-blade-ed2_001.jpg (65.65 KiB) Viewed 1513 times
Last edited by butlersrangers on Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

geofois

Post by geofois »

For drilling a hole into the sight blade I have should I punch a guide dent and sit on it with a slow move drill until it gets farther in? I don't have a press just a hand drill.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Small drill-bits can be purchased at most hardware stores.

Sight-blades are usually made from rather soft steel.
With your blade in place in the base, it can be 'marked' through the cross-pin hole with the tip of an ice-pick or a small punch.
Remove the blade, lay it flat on a piece of wood, and 'center-punch' a slight depression on the 'mark'.

Clamp the blade and piece of wood in a small vice (so it doesn't spin). Put the appropriate small drill in the 'chuck' of your hand-drill, locate the drill-bit tip in the center-punch dimple, and drill through the blade.

Clean any hole burrs by lightly twisting the tip of an oversize drill, in the hole opening, with your fingers.

A soft steel cross-pin, to retain the sight-blade, can be made from the 'shank' of a nail.
I spin a piece of nail in my power hand-drill and file it to approximate diameter with a slight taper.

I then cut the pin to approximate length and shape the ends with file and emery cloth, while spinning it in the drill 'chuck'.

geofois

Post by geofois »

Great idea. I have the actual pin I took out of it also and I have some thin nails so that can work also.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

That serial number list is the garbage put out by Bowers LLC some years back. It has been heavily discounted as it is rife with errors. I wish it would just go away, but guys - especially novices - keep finding it, somewhere.