Building rear sight

U.S. Military Krags
geofois

Re: Building rear sight

Post by geofois »

I mentioned I might get a repro 1898 handguard to match the 1898 sight base but I should ask, Do I need to change anything else to get it to fit? Will my current barrel band work? Is it the right length to correspond with the stock I currently have? If not then I won't change anything. It's just a fun gun to shoot.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

A reproduction handguard, cut for the model 1898/1902 sight, will fit the stock and barrel-band that you have.

To change handguards, it is a good idea to remove the rear-sight, barrel-band, and stock. The handguard can then be slid forward down the barrel toward the muzzle.
This gradually relieves the tension on the spring-clips and lessens the risk of cracking the handguard.
(A light film of oil, solvent, or RIG on the barrel aids the process and guards against scratching the barrel finish).

The handguard, when removed, can be stored with a Quarter and a Penny twisted into the spring-clips, to counteract the inward spring tension against the wood.

The replacement handguard can be started, upside-down at the muzzle to clear the front-sight, and then rotated and slid into position.

The rear-sight is next installed, followed by the stock assembly.

BTW - Rambling around old KCA threads and the KCA 'main page photos' can answer all kinds of questions.
Attachments
carbinesights Tom Pearce KCA.jpg
carbinesights Tom Pearce KCA.jpg (69.48 KiB) Viewed 1432 times
KCA handguards - Tom Pearce.jpg
KCA handguards - Tom Pearce.jpg (38.54 KiB) Viewed 1434 times

geofois

Post by geofois »

Thank you. I'll use the search on this site more and see what I find. The company emailed back saying they no long make Krag handguards so that idea might not happen. I think I saw another place but it was unfinished and needed to be drilled and trimmed still. S&S I was able to put my email address to notify me when back in stock so who knows. For now I'll just take off the handguard to use the sight.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

FWIW - I believe S&S Firearms also got their handguards from 'Schwartz' in Georgia, so don't hold your breath too long!

Personally, I would just try your Krag with the model 1896 sight for initial Range sessions.

If windage is way off, I'd try the mixed m-1898/1902 sight.

I rather like the 1902 sight, but, the 'flip-up' peep is useless for most older eyes.

geofois

Post by geofois »

I was thinking the exact same thing about S&S. My eyes are probably ok for now. I plan on using the peep on my 1903 which I haven't shot yet. I wonder if drilling the hole a little bigger is something people have done. It does look really small.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Some Krag owner/shooters have drilled & enlarged the "Sgt. Peep" aperture.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Uhhh, it may be my old eyes, but that does NOT look like a proper front sight base OR crown. The base appears too tall, too close to muzzle, and the radii at the base are too small. The crown is not uniform, in that it is not rounded as much on the inside edge as the outer. In cross-section, the proper curvature is almost a half-circle. Anyone else think the same?

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Dick - Pictures that were supplied in the middle of these posts clearly show this is not a carbine barrel. (The barrel was cut-down, re-crowned, and a dovetail added for a reshaped front sight-base).

The only carbine items are 1899 stock, handguard, and barrel-band.
Attachments
geofois krag front sight.jpg
geofois krag front sight.jpg (248.97 KiB) Viewed 1363 times
krag front sight (2).jpg
krag front sight (2).jpg (79.96 KiB) Viewed 1363 times

geofois

Post by geofois »

I'm sure it was a barreled action for a rifle but technically are the other parts also the same used on a Carbine like the bolt, receiver etc? So the main part that can't be Carbine is the barrel and front sight? Or did the Carbine use a different style bolt etc?

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Model 1898 rifles, model 1898 carbines, and model 1899 carbines all used the same bolt and shared many minor parts.

Your receiver is out of the serial number range for most identified or accepted model 1898 carbines.
The fact that your Krag's barrel is an altered rifle barrel makes everything suspect.

Only 5,002 model 1898 carbines were manufactured. Actually, they are mainly desirable in their original 'short' (30 inch) stock configuration, with a model 1896 carbine rear-sight.

Tens of thousands surplus model 1898 rifles were 'shortened', for Hunting or to make a $1.50 gun, more handy.

Lots of 'Cheaters' have and will always try, to pass off something common. as something rare for many extra $$$$$.

You have a pleasing looking, useful, shortened Krag rifle, that some civilian has inserted into a model 1899 carbine stock and hand-guard.

IMHO - You have about $600 worth of original model 1899 carbine wood, housing about $250 worth of Krag metal parts.

It will never be a real model 1898 carbine, no matter what is done to it.

Enjoy it for what it is.
Last edited by butlersrangers on Thu May 13, 2021 7:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.