My new 1898

U.S. Military Krags
Tancred

My new 1898

Post by Tancred »

Very excited to show off my 1898 Carbine that I just picked up. The serial number is 461288, which I think puts it around 1904. I know nothing about these guns, if you can recommend a good book, I'd appreciate it. In the meantime, can someone tell me about the none typical stock? Is it someone's home modification? Btw, it has tangent sights, I removed the rear to soak the windage adjustment that is stuck.

thanks,
Tancred
IMG_1187.JPG
IMG_1187.JPG (154.5 KiB) Viewed 1392 times
IMG_1186.JPG
IMG_1186.JPG (155.05 KiB) Viewed 1392 times

FredC

Re: My new 1898

Post by FredC »

Well, welcome to the KCA. Not sure what you have there I seem to see bluing on the magazine box and a modified stock. If I am seeing it right shortened riffles can be a lot of fun to shoot and make good deer rifles. More photos will help the more knowledgeable to understand the history of what you have there.

Tancred

Post by Tancred »

From what I can tell it started life as a rifle. I found no "C" on the rear sight and the front sight isn't factory. There are no stampings remaining on the stock, it was slimmed down some. The magazine cut off lever was removed and the gun was blued. The rifling seems good.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'Tancred' - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

Your Krag, #461288, was assembled around July, 1903, as an infantry rifle, with a 30 inch barrel.
You called your Krag a "carbine", so I imagine the barrel has been cut shorter.
A picture of your front-sight and confirmation of your barrel length would allow further comment.

Your rifle stock has been amaturely cut short, probably to make it more practical for Hunting.
It appears your metal parts may have been commercially 'blued'. The original Krag metal finish is a lot more complicated.
Your action has had its magazine cut-off lever removed. This was often done on hunting Krags to add a "no-drill" commercial 'peep' sight.
It sounds like your current rear-sight is the model 1902 sight. (A picture of one disassembled is attached).

'Altered' refinished Krags have lost their collector value, but, can be a lot of fun as utility guns.
Attachments
Krag-1902_apart-ed.jpg
Krag-1902_apart-ed.jpg (60.19 KiB) Viewed 1378 times

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'Tancred' - A real useful beginner's text on the U.S. Krag is the late Joe Poyer's book, "The American Krag Rifle and Carbine". It is paper bound, runs about 300 pages, has lots of good information and photographs.

It is not perfect, has some typos and odd unofficial terminology on part variations. It has lots of good content and sells for around $25 on ebay.

Tancred

Post by Tancred »

I should have done more research before buying this gun. But it was the first affordable Krag I've seen and I've wanted one for awhile. Here is a pic of the front sight.
IMG_1191.JPG
IMG_1191.JPG (42.4 KiB) Viewed 1357 times

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

That is a handsome commercial 'banded' front-sight. It looks like it could be a Redfield or Lyman.
Such sights usually have a manufacturers name stamped on them.

'Sportered' Krags are a lot of fun to use at the Range.

Back in the 1920's and 1930's the Director of Civilian Marksmanship was selling-off Krag rifles to NRA members for $1.50.

It was popular to adapt them for Hunting and a lot of 'aftermarket' sights and accessories were available.

Altering Krag rifles was 'bread and butter work' for a lot of gunsmiths. (Also, a lot of people 'converted' a Krag, on their own).

Many KCA members started their interest with a Krag, like yours. Some of us find the 'sportered' rifles very interesting, useful, and have a number of them in our "Batteries".
Lucky members have an 'altered' Krag that is a family heirloom and may have been their first shooting experience.

This is all very fine, when the rifles are not overly expensive and accepted for what they are.

Generally, Collectors want things totally "original" and good specimens command serious money.

It has long been my observation, that some people take advantage of 'new collectors' and try to pass-off a utility Krag, as a "carbine" or "rare original piece".

This goes against my code of conduct and in my opinion is wrong, a form of theft, and does much harm to fellow gun enthusiasts.

(By the same token, I have always felt an obligation to educate myself, know values, and not be an easy prey).

'Tancred' - At one time, your Krag may have had one of these commercial "no-drill" receiver sights (photo). The Pacific and Redfield models made use of the magazine cut-off opening.

BTW - I have found it fun to dabble with old 'sportered' Krags, some, occasionally, have rare parts, some are restorable, (but, this is getting increasingly impractical), some are just plain fun to shoot, as is!
Attachments
Krag_no-drill_sights_011.jpg
Krag_no-drill_sights_011.jpg (149.24 KiB) Viewed 1337 times
krag-still4.jpg
krag-still4.jpg (111.45 KiB) Viewed 1342 times