Question on 1901 rear sight

U.S. Military Krags
Tommiep54

Question on 1901 rear sight

Post by Tommiep54 »

I am looking at a US Krag 1898 rifle with a 1901 rear sight ( I believe aka the Buffington sight). The stock cartouche is 1903 which I am sure is too late for a 430,000 serial number. My question is, when were the last 1901 rear sights likely put on factory new rifles?

butlersrangers

Re: Question on 1901 rear sight

Post by butlersrangers »

A rifle, in 430,XXX serial number range, would have been assembled around January, 1903.

Either the model 1901 or model 1902 sight is likely "correct".

You phrased the question in an awkward way. (Think Musical Chairs - with sights in a state of flux).

Around 1903, the Ordnance Department (in Annual Reports) was paring the numerous Krag sight models down to just two, 1901 & 1902.

In 1903, a new Springfield Rifle went into production, with a 'Rod-Bayonet' and rear-sight, like the Krag 1902 sight.
It is thought by some, because of its similarity, that Krag rifles going to the Army likely would have 1902 sights.

In 1905, suddenly, the new Springfield Rifle gets a knife bayonet and a 'Buffington' style rear-sight.
Maybe, it now made sense for the Army's Krags to be wearing the model 1901 sight!

(I don't know if it is true, but, it is suspected by some that after 1905, the Army got 1901 sights and the National Guard got 1902 sights. Interesting idea)!

There seem to be a lot of photos of U.S. Soldiers and U.S. Sailors with Krag rifles as late as 1907 to 1909, National Guard unit photos seem to show Krags until around 1913 to 1914.

For WW1 Training Camps, lots of Krags were pressed into service. There was likely some 'inspection and refurbishing' going on. Having any 'serviceable' sights was maybe good enough.

Tommiep54

Post by Tommiep54 »

Well I appreciate your reply and apologize for the awkward phrasing.

You just convinced me to purchase another Krag rifle (as if I needed further convincing). It has the 1903 stock and the 1901 rear sight. I'll post pictures to this post when I go pick it up next week.
I love the dark oil finish on these rifles and this one has a fore end that is not cracked. The barrel is bright and shiny. I think there is some wear to the receiver.

Follow up question if the members on here don't mind. Does anyone have a Krag rifle with a lot of finish left on the receiver that you could post a picture of for me to see? I just want to see what a mint specimen would look like. I know the receivers were case hardened but I'm not sure what the original finish looks like in good condition.

Thank you for helping this new Krag collector out!

Tom

Parashooter

Post by Parashooter »

Original finish on US Krag receivers is casehardened with an oil quench (rather than water quench that makes pretty colors). When new, they were a mottled dark gray. With time and handling, they fade to a light silvery gray with less mottling evident. Here's an example of one that's well-faded -
KragCart.jpg
KragCart.jpg (26.26 KiB) Viewed 946 times

Tommiep54

Post by Tommiep54 »

Thank you for sharing, great info.