collector grade Krag advice

U.S. Military Krags
rookhawk

collector grade Krag advice

Post by rookhawk »

Hello,

I'm an avid gun collector, mostly British Safari rifles and London shotguns. While I appreciate military arms, I do not collect them whatsoever. I have a 1896 Krag-Jorgenson that is in pretty rarified air as far as condition is concerned and I want to market it properly. I don't think at the 1/10th of 1% quality/condition threshold its probably best to use classifieds, gunbroker, or guns int'l to reach the right clientele.

Can anyone on this forum advise me which auction house and which auction date at that house are where the premium Krag pieces are bought and sold? I'm in no hurry to sell it cheap, I'm just interested to find the right venue.

Thanks so much for the info.

-Rookhawk
Chicago, IL

Whig

Re: collector grade Krag advice

Post by Whig »

You might be best advised to post pictures of it here so we can help you figure out real value.

Most of the higher-end auction houses like Little Johns or Rock Island will probably not accept your Krag if it is not a better quality and higher value piece. They have their reputation from getting more for firearms because they sell the most desirable pieces. I rarely see sporterized Krags, for example, at these places.

If you do have a rarer Krag, these auction houses are always selling them. There is not only one place and only one date that they sell Krags!

They also charge you the most for selling. I don't even bid at these places anymore because their prices are extremely high and their added costs are ridiculous.

Research places. Post pictures here and give us more info and we'll help out as much as we can. Sounds quite interesting. M1896 Krags in higher condition, or with some unusual history or features, are quite sought after.

Good luck!

rookhawk

Post by rookhawk »

Thanks for the reply. I am familiar with RIA (not Little Johns) and I certainly have used Julias, Morphys, Askoneauge?, and Holts of London a few times over the years. *Usually* there is a particular house and a particular auction where the heavies go for particular niche items, that's why I asked. Tier-1 London Bests? Holts. Winchesters? Used to be Julias. Provenance-driven American arms of the 19th century? RIA.

As to my rifle. It isn't a particularly special configuration. Its a standard 1896 rifle with correct cartouche. It's its overall condition that puts it into the premium class. I bought it with a collection of guns that were one-family owner guns and none had been cleaned, or used, since the 1920s other than a quick wipe down every two decades. I acquired the collection for the 98% bluing winchesters and savage 99s, this just happened to be the odd duck that I got along with it.

I'll get some pictures posted in the coming days.

Lead Snowstorm

Post by Lead Snowstorm »

I agree with Whig - the auction houses are a bit intimidating as a buyer - massive buyer's premiums, and I've seen enough incorrect/mislabeled stuff that it doesn't feel 'safer' to expend the cash.

As a bit of an outside-the-box suggestion, you might find one of the big-volume gunbroker sellers and see what sort of fees they'd charge to auction your rifle. The one in particular I'm thinking of is folk_fan. He's pretty well known for a deep-pocketed following and his auctions always seem to get top-dollar.

Local Boy

Post by Local Boy »

Hi rookhawk,

Maybe your familiar with a friend of mine by the name Cal Pappas? He collects 4 bore rifles along with other big bore guns. He's also written a few books such as "The British Bore Rifle" and "The .600 Nitro Express".

I've purchased many firearms from auction houses but never used one to sell a firearm. So my knowledge is as a buyer who can agree with previous posts...premiums and shipping are very costly for the buyer.

As far as a seller...I mainly sell my by private purchase/gun shows or I utilize web sites such as Gun Broker.

Who knows, maybe one of the KCA members might want to purchase your Krag ;)

rookhawk

Post by rookhawk »

Cal and I are friendly acquaintances. We collect some of the same things.