General questions about rifle

U.S. Military Krags
butlersrangers

Re: General questions about rifle

Post by butlersrangers »

The work on Rabjaegar's Krag was likely done post-WW2. (The "R" marked '03A3 front-sight base was made during the 1940's and surplus parts became available after the war).

FredC is probably correct about the 'beauty ring'.

The commercial stock looks like it could be a 'Bishop' or 'Fajen'; trademarks were molded into original plastic butt-plates. OP's stock seems to have a thicker butt-plate.

Lots of stock 'Style Changes' were happening in the 1950's to the 1960's.

I think it may be a circa 1949 Bishop stock with a newer rubber butt-plate.
Attachments
ong-stock.jpg
ong-stock.jpg (102.7 KiB) Viewed 1554 times
catalog.jpg
catalog.jpg (99.27 KiB) Viewed 1554 times
Bishop Krag.jpg
Bishop Krag.jpg (110.15 KiB) Viewed 1554 times
Bishop 1940 ad.jpg
Bishop 1940 ad.jpg (76.14 KiB) Viewed 1554 times
Bishop 1949.jpg
Bishop 1949.jpg (114.86 KiB) Viewed 1554 times

Knute1

Post by Knute1 »

The above info by BR makes me curious of the opposite side of the rifle. A cheekpiece view of the rifle would be great.

Rabjaegar

Post by Rabjaegar »

Knute1 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:18 am The above info by BR makes me curious of the opposite side of the rifle. A cheekpiece view of the rifle would be great.
I did have to edit the picture a bit because I keep getting the "image is too large prompt" but here is the cheekpiece. The 1940 Bishop stock that Butlersrangers posted seems to be the one I have, although mine doesn't have any checkering.
Attachments
unnamed (12).jpg
unnamed (12).jpg (739.75 KiB) Viewed 1549 times

Rabjaegar

Post by Rabjaegar »

Want to thank FredC, LeadSnowstorm, Knute 1, and Butlersrangers for your suggestions and help with my rifle. Based on your recommendations I will keep it as is, but if some parts do come up extremely cheap Ill probably pick them up - just to have them if I ever decide to change it up a bit. I just bought 40 rounds of 165 grain HSM Cowboy 30-40 to keep on hand and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with them (I figure most of you guys are reloaders).

Zac952

Post by Zac952 »

Much of the brass given to me by friends and family has been from HSM ammo, they use starline for most of their handgun ammo, not sure on their rifle ammo but everyone I get brass from seems to like the ammo although I hear their 44 magnum is pretty low power, low power is no concern in a Krag though as it easier on the rifle anyway, what's the brass headstamp?

FredC

Post by FredC »

Rabjaegar,
The more we learn about your Krag the better it looks as a sporter. Fitting that beauty ring and forward hold down took a fair amount of skill. If professionally done it will look super with a clean up. That cheek piece should get your eye lined up with the sight as soon as you bring the rifle up to your shoulder. Rubber pad, you can lean it up in the corner with out is sliding and falling on the floor.

I have a machine shop and used to have a saying that you can not have too many lathes and mills. I am getting older now and I have a real nice barely used bed mill that has not been used in 20 years, yeah I am thinking of selling it. Might make room for the bucket list big CNC lathe I have been working on. Oh the point, there are some around here that feel the same way about Krags. Never have too many. If you want a carbine or a faux carbine you could find a lot better candidates than the nice sporter you have.

Another thing we would like to see more of it. The forward screw side plate and sight close ups. Did the smith or previous owner fill the unused sight screw holes. On photos too big to post with a windows computer, you can open them up in paint by right clicking on the photo. One of your options will be to resize the photo. Kind of a trial and error thing. try 80% for starters then save the photo with a name change, I add RS to the name for resized. Get out of paint and see if it compressed enough. If not delete the RS photo and do it again with a higher percentage. When you get it right you still have the original with more detail if you ever need it and a post able one for us to see. Macs have a different procedure and your on your own if you have a tablet.

blfrankjr

Post by blfrankjr »

If you happen to have it out of the stock I would appreciate a photo of the underside of what is being called the “beauty ring.” I am having a band made now for the same purpose and location. It would be interesting to see how it was done in the past.
Thanks

FredC

Post by FredC »

blfrankjr wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:29 am If you happen to have it out of the stock I would appreciate a photo of the underside of what is being called the “beauty ring.” I am having a band made now for the same purpose and location. It would be interesting to see how it was done in the past.
Thanks
Ditto! I would like to see what is under there also.

Blfrankjr some of the photos in this thread may be helpful to you. Not a beauty ring but the sight mount serves double duty as a forward hold down. http://kragcollectorsassociation.com/vi ... 211#p33211
If you have any question on that project you might ask on that thread so this one stays on track.

Another thread that may be of interest. http://kragcollectorsassociation.com/vi ... =11&t=4861

Rabjaegar

Post by Rabjaegar »

Sorry guys I have been busy - Here are some of the requested pictures, pardon some of the rusting- I have kept the rifle inside the house and kept the outside oiled up. I am getting some WD40 and Ballistol and will attempt to lightly clean the rifle up with some 0000 steel wool.
Attachments
unnamed (13).jpg
unnamed (13).jpg (938.05 KiB) Viewed 1491 times

Rabjaegar

Post by Rabjaegar »

The sights look a little rough but I am sure it will clean up. I do plan on refinishing the rifle eventually, but I am about to go to school, and until then will just keep the rifle well oiled.
Attachments
unnamed (25).jpg
unnamed (25).jpg (739.74 KiB) Viewed 1491 times