Krag bolt interchangeability

U.S. Military Krags
Zac952

Krag bolt interchangeability

Post by Zac952 »

So I recently purchased a 30 inch barreled reciever, I am planning on using this to create a full rifle using a stock forend extension on my cut down sporter stock, then using the other parts from my other krag with excessive headspace. I purchased a NOS bolt, plus I have the bolt from that sporter. I attempted to chamber a empty resized Graf case and the bolt will not close on the case without shoulder deformation similar to what my original short rifle was showing. Now I have 3 bolts in all, one in my current short rifle I'll refer to as my blued bolt, it will chamber this brass in each rifle with no deformation. Both my NOS and my other bolt will deform brass in both my current short rifle and my 30 inch reciever.
So my blued bolt works on both and doesn't close on a field gauge in either, and my NOS and other bolt will not close on a resized case but will close on a case I cut off the shoulder. So headspace by the rim they are correct, but rim to shoulder they are too tight.
I have some remington brass on the way to rule out a out of spec brass problem, although the full length resizing should have taken care of this also.
Just curious on any experiences you guys may have had with this

butlersrangers

Re: Krag bolt interchangeability

Post by butlersrangers »

'Zac952' - I've never encountered the 'case-neck chambering' problems, that you are having.

I have one, well used, model 1898 bolt that would close on a 'Field Gauge'.
It came in a model 1896 Krag barreled-action. I replaced the bolt with a NOS model 1896 bolt and the excessive head-space was corrected.
(BTW - The worn model 1898 bolt was usable in a late model 1898 action).

I'm sorry you are having a run of problem parts.

Zac952

Post by Zac952 »

I'll post the serial numbers tonight but the short rifle is a 1902 manufacture that came with the blue bolt that works in either rifle, and the barreled action is a 1903 manufacture, my other bolt came from a 1903 manufacture rifle and then the NOS is an 1898 version. I'm beginning to think maybe the problem lies within the brass or dies, although that seems very unlikely, hopefully this remington brass will confirm that suspicion, but at least it will rule out that variable
Last edited by Zac952 on Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

What is the barrel length on your 1902 "short rifle"? Not 26" is it?

Zac952

Post by Zac952 »

No it is a 22 inch shortened krag barrel with a 1903 sight, I wish it was a 26 inch with a weird sight graduation although! Just a shortened sporter put into a Kirk Stokes school rifle stock copy

FredC

Post by FredC »

This is getting to be too much. Two rifles and all these bolts with the same problem. I just picked up a brass case from Grafs and dropped in a barreled receiver I bought just for grins and to test stuff for the forum. No plans for it, any ways it did not drop all the way in, stood about 30 to 40 thousands of an inch proud of the rim touching the barrel like I would expect. I closed the bolt with some difficulty and was expecting to have to drop a brass bar down the barrel to knock the case out, funny it fell out by itself and dropped on the floor. It now has a ring about 1/2 way on the angled shoulder. So you are not alone now. We now have 3 bad barrels or some quirky Grafs brass that needs resizing before use? Please note my reference to old Krag drawings and a supposed rim to shoulder dimension change in this thread:
http://www.kragcollectorsassociation.co ... 943#p38943

Have we found evidence of the mysterious case dimension change that no one else could prove for 100 years or did Grafs make some quirky brass? My cases were purchased several years ago just so I could examine them, never even chambered one till now.

Quick add here. I found 2 dummy rounds with 30 caliber bullets in Remington brass in my tool box. They both dropped in and the rim touched the barrel. Both of these were assembled with new brass and sent to PTG for correction to a purchased reamer.

Another quick note I have a loose barrel and dropped in a couple of Grafs cases and thought they all touched the barrel end with the rim. I did a closer exam on the last one and saw a gap on one side of the rim and not the other. So the rim is slanted a little, sort of expected with formed cases. More checking tomorrow. Time to eat then go get groceries.
Last edited by FredC on Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Zac952

Post by Zac952 »

Thanks Fred for the checking on your end, I am hoping this remington brass corrects the problem as I have resized the Graf cases with no change, my die is an RCBS die set to contact the shell holder + a quarter of a turn or so.
The blued bolt that chambers them all fine still gets a slight brightening on shoulder where the others crush, and the blued bolt has fore and aft play in all 3 recievers I have so it is definitely worn. It will not close on a field gauge though, but it gets much closer then the NOS or the other bolt which they both close about the same.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

All my .30-40 brass is of Winchester and Remington manufacture.

I have no experience with 'Graf' head-stamped brass.
I don't know what company actually makes the brass for Graf & Sons?

I'd be interested in borrowing a few new Graf cases to compare with Winchester and Remington cases and try the Graf brass in Krag chambers, known to be problem free.

Zac952

Post by Zac952 »

BR I have a few spare cases that are unsized and new and I could send them to you if you want to PM me shipping information.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'Zac952' and I have exchanged PM's.

He is loaning me a few of his new Graf .30-40 cartridge cases for examination, comparison and trial.

If the same result occurs with my equipment, it will indicate the problem is with his Graf brass.

It is interesting that 'FredC' found his new Graf cases to be making shoulder contact and a 'forced' fit in his Krag chambers.