New Rifle and Carbine

U.S. Military Krags
Zac952

Re: New Rifle and Carbine

Post by Zac952 »

I was only able to shoot one 5 shot group at 50 yards standing today, but wow the handling and point ability of that carbine is out of this world, I'll still use my rifles, but this one has became my favorite.
Here is that group, set to the lowest sight setting with my 221 gr cast bullet load, so it seems my front sight is at the correct height.
20210801_175202.jpg
20210801_175202.jpg (560.79 KiB) Viewed 688 times

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I believe Zac's 'new' model 1899 carbine is wearing an Italian walnut stock.

I never base that conclusion merely on color, although lighter colored wood may be what first attracts my attention.

Regular American walnut Krag stocks all received Logwood stain. Depending on later civilian treatment, a stock may be lighter in color than when it was in service.

Many of the Italian walnut stocks were darkened by staining, possibly at the unit level, with likely variations in how it was done.

FWIW - If I suspect a stock might be Italian walnut, I try to confirm by looking for distinctive grain patterns.

IMHO - The Italian walnut will often have 'tiger stripe' and small 'crescents' in the grain, which you do not see in American Black walnut.

Also, inside the 'lightening cuts' the Italian wood will often show its light color and not have received any stain.

Zac's stock seems to have that small 'crescent grain'.
Attachments
zac1.jpg
zac1.jpg (106.98 KiB) Viewed 687 times
zac2.jpg
zac2.jpg (114.73 KiB) Viewed 687 times

Zac952

Post by Zac952 »

Thank you BR for that information, it does have those crescents going all the way up the forend on the left side.. Comparing it to both my known black walnut stocks the grain does seem much more distinct, and along with the lighter color that made me first suspect it could be. With these other distinctions you noticed it seems like it is!

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

It's always a tough call as to what to do with an antique rifle that just isn't quite right, or "right", and we all have lines we know we shouldn't cross. On Krags, rear sight changes are probably the biggest issue - and also the one where the 'anomaly' is most likely to actually be a correct upgrade, thus, changing it would be "wrong" to many people. I always tried to find the most original pieces that I could so as to not have to deal with the part-swapping dilemma. But, sometimes you just have to replace something, and if the proper piece with perfectly matching patina can be found and properly installed, in my book no harm is done. I will almost always replace buggered screws, however!