Rear sight on 98 rifle....

U.S. Military Krags
Whig

Re: Rear sight on 98 rifle....

Post by Whig »

But, Ned, I still need more! I still have a couple M1896 carbines wearing rifle sights and they say they feel naked!

I'll keep searching junk boxes where ever I can find them.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Krag Sights! Like gold in the "Treasure of Sierra Madre" .... it's the road to madness ...

One loose extra Krag sight is both too many and not enough!

gew98

Post by gew98 »

OK ; had some time to hash out resizing images...not fun anymore as it used to be way easy, not so these days.
Well cant post pics here direct from PC...it wants a URL only. I can email directly if you contact me at my email or pm yours. I've always known krag sights are a rats nest of confusion...had a krag carbine many moons ago and it had a seargents peep on it. I traded it for a 99 carbine sight , that was almost 30 years ago. Anyhow this format is not user friendly for pics direct from pc.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Actually, pictures are pretty easy to post on the KCA Forum. You just have to have them on your hard-drive and smaller than 1MiB. (I try for under 200KB, and usually about 100KB).

You just click on 'attachments' tab, (below reply window), and then click on 'add files' button. This takes you to images on your hard-drive. 'Click On' one and then hit the 'open' button.

Pictures need to be below 1 MiB, each. You can attach up to five on a post. (The last picture selected, will be appear first in order).

Whig

Post by Whig »

I sent a pm about the pictures. I can post them for you. I gave my e-mail in the pm.

Larry

Whig

Post by Whig »

So, Bill (gew98-op) sent me an e-mail with two pictures of the "carbine" sight he mentioned at the beginning of this thread. Those are below.

This is why pictures are so important. The M1901 rear sight Bill has on his Krag rifle is a rifle sight that someone has sloppily stamped an oversized "C" on the left base to mimic a carbine sight. The slide is calibrated to 20 and the other two "c"s are not where they should be.

I sent the following e-mail back to Bill. Thanks for the offer, though. Lesson learned!

Bill,
I think that you are OK with what you have. That “C” stamped on the base of this Model 1901 Krag rear sight appears fake. The other two areas
are not stamped where they should be for a real carbine sight and the carbine Model 1901 sight should be calibrated to 23 (2300 yrds) on the slide.
Someone has tried to fake a real carbine sight for some purpose.
So, you have a Model 1901 rifle sight that is calibrated properly for a Krag rifle.
Just ignore the “C” stamp on the side.
I also don’t need or want a faked carbine sight.
If you can’t post pictures of this on the KCA forum, I’ll do it for you later this evening when I get back from work.

Thanks!

Larry
Attachments
IMG_0924 (800x600).jpg
IMG_0924 (800x600).jpg (227.95 KiB) Viewed 1155 times
IMG_0925 (800x600).jpg
IMG_0925 (800x600).jpg (205.37 KiB) Viewed 1155 times

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Whig - Thanks for your kindness and information.

It also appears very improper screws have been used to mount the model 1901 sight to the Krag barrel.

Fortunately, a good model 1901 rifle sight and replacement screws are not difficult to obtain.

The OP confused us, when he assumed the sight on his son's model 1898 rifle was a "model 1898 sight".
Attachments
krag 1901 sights compared.jpg
krag 1901 sights compared.jpg (120.52 KiB) Viewed 1153 times

FredC

Post by FredC »

If only these sights could talk. This one has had a more interesting life than normal.
A little clean up and replacing the screws with originals if possible would make it more shoot able and give it a better appearance.
One would hope that the threads in the barrel will still accept original screws. If not it still can be fixed but more effort will be required. I would not try to remove the illegitimate "C" as that is now part of its history and grinding or filing it out will be just more abuse.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

That sight leaf is quite bashed & battered.
A replacement leaf can be purchased from 'Grandpa's Gun Parts' for a reasonable cost. ($15, IIRC).

It does not take very much damage to the leaf to totally 'bollock-up' the movement of the slide.

I replaced/repaired one about a year ago, that had a very slightly deformed leaf.
It was the only way I could get things to operate smoothly.

Attached photos show leaf from "Grandpa's" and a mostly disassembled 1901 sight:
Attachments
leaf-1901.jpg
leaf-1901.jpg (35.68 KiB) Viewed 1135 times
m1901-1_002.jpg
m1901-1_002.jpg (203.66 KiB) Viewed 1136 times

FredC

Post by FredC »

butlersrangers wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:16 pm That sight leaf is quite bashed & battered.
A replacement leaf can be purchased from 'Grandpa's Gun Parts' for a reasonable cost. ($15, IIRC).

It does not take very much damage to the leaf to totally 'bollock-up' the movement of the slide.

I replaced/repaired one about a year ago, that had a very slightly deformed leaf.
It was the only way I could get things to operate smoothly.

Attached photos show leaf from "Grandpa's" and a mostly disassembled 1901 sight:
I take it your not into the battle scarred historical look. :-)

Yeah, I guess there is a lot to be said for smooth and nice looking.

I still would not throw anything Krag related away. Probably oil them up and put old parts in a plastic bag some where. Finding stuff can be a problem some times. I know I have a six inch long piece of Krag barrel around here but I have not seen it in years. Always thought it could be made into a 30 caliber pistol barrel. One of the curses of being a machinist. It is hard to throw away scraps of metal.