Here's my one 98C
Attachments
M1898C sight.jpg
M1898C sight.jpg (194.93 KiB) Viewed 566 times

butlersrangers

Re: Rear sight on 98 rifle....

Post by butlersrangers »

That is a beauty, Dick!

Hey, if you have not looked at it, go to 'Other Firearms'. There's a couple of 'trap-door' things that I've posted.

gew98

Re: Rear sight on 98 rifle....

Post by gew98 »

FredC wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:58 pm If only these sights could talk. This one has had a more interesting life than normal.
A little clean up and replacing the screws with originals if possible would make it more shoot able and give it a better appearance.
One would hope that the threads in the barrel will still accept original screws. If not it still can be fixed but more effort will be required. I would not try to remove the illegitimate "C" as that is now part of its history and grinding or filing it out will be just more abuse.
I straightened out the bend to leaf decently & a tad of clean up to allow it to work properly. Was every bit as banged up as pic showed. I get a chance I will find a proper set of screws for it. Am more concerned on trying to replace the barrel on my son's 99 carbine. After a through scrubbing...it's toast. We put 40+ rounds through it and it punches the paper plate wherever it feels like and cleaning bore after is not easy on the patches. The rifle - it's on target with about any loading I try in it. I got real lucky from a guy on AR15.com whom had 8 boxes of factory 30/40 and two boxes of brass - $185 delivered. How could I say no !. My smithy gave my son 40 rds of someone's old reloads which I pulled down and reloaded with 4895.