Rear sight on 98 rifle....

U.S. Military Krags
gew98

Rear sight on 98 rifle....

Post by gew98 »

Got looking at my sons recent acquisition of a 98 krag and noticed the rear sight is C marked. It appears then that this is a carbine sight. Anyone want to trade a rifle sight for it ?.

Whig

Re: Rear sight on 98 rifle....

Post by Whig »

I will if I have what you need!
Send e-mail to lljmb@usa.net. I do have a number of them I could trade for and maybe some cash depending on sight!

personal message sent also.

Larry

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

It would be very interesting if you could post some well focused close-up pictures of the sight.

We could verify what he has. This always makes for a fun 'learning exercise'.

Forum members enjoy Krag pictures!

To assist the O.P., I am attaching a couple of photos of a battered & bent, (but correct), model 1898 carbine-sight.

This sight was designed by Lt. Dickson. The 'elevation' curve and short base height were for the improved trajectory of the 'hotter' 2,200 f.p.s. cartridge.
The faster cartridge was discontinued when Krag bolt locking-lugs began developing 'cracks'. This made the unpopular 'three-notch' sight, obsolete.

The 1898 sights were only put on a narrow serial number range of model 1898 rifles and model 1899 carbines: approximately, 218,000 to 253,000, IIRC.
Attachments
carb 98-1.jpg
carb 98-1.jpg (179.53 KiB) Viewed 1554 times
carb 98-2.jpg
carb 98-2.jpg (255.09 KiB) Viewed 1554 times

Whig

Post by Whig »

I have tremendous patience I have acquired over the years but I have not heard back from gew98 yet. I would definitely need pictures before agreeing to any exchange or purchase. There are lots of fakes out there that can have even seasoned Krag lovers take a second or third look at. Also, we have seen many mis-matched sights with wrong parts that have played some part in someone's attempt to fix some problem in a creative way. Many people named Bubba out there!

I have a collection of Krag sights and am looking for just two more to complete my collection before setting them up for a few nice family pictures with labels. That will make a great picture when I can find the couple I need. It would be even nicer to have each one quaintly nestled in its correct hand guard. That would take some time to acquire enough loose hand guards. I guess I could dis-assemble Krags I have with the correct hand guards just for the pictures. I might consider that.

I am looking for a M1902 carbine sight with the modified rounded edges and a M1902 rifle sight, not a modified one, but the one with one sighting notch and no peep.

If anyone has an extra one of either of these, please let me know. I'll keep searching and eventually come across these.

I'm still anxious to see what op has. I always like extra carbine sights to potentially put on a Krag carbine searching for its correct rear sight!

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Whig: With only about 1,000 produced, I am not sure that Springfield Armory ever made model 1902 carbine sights that used the 'converted 1898 eye-piece', (with the outside notches ground off).

If examples exist, they may have been repaired/rebuilt sights or civilian assembled from surplus parts. (Brophy mentions one such example, on page 110, in his book, "The Krag Rifle").

It is possible that you are seeking an "incorrect" sight?

I have two model 1902 carbine rear-sights.
One of the sights has the 'flip-up peep'. The other does not have the 1904 modification.
Both sights have the coarse serrations on the left-side of the leaf.
Both sights have the late type of slide-locking screw, that was 'slotted' for the .30-03 cartridge.
The "C" on both bases is on the right-side.
IIRC - There is a legitimate variation with the "C" stamped on the left-side of the base, by an elderly part-time workman.

Like yourself, I have a 'loose' sight collection I am trying to complete. Such is madness!

(p.s. - I don't have the variations you seek. Personally, I am looking for a "High-Hump" model 1896 sight and a model 1898 carbine sight).

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Krag sights - "The Road to Madness"

Over the years, I slowly accumulated a variety of U.S. Krag sights. I found them interesting because they were such an important part of the Krag story.

Like all parts, they have gotten more expensive and there is more competition for items that show up on the internet.

With variations in knobs, serrations, and leaf markings, it is scary how many combinations exist.

A great thing to look for in 'junk boxes' at Gun Shows (when they return).

p.s. - The 1898 "C" marked eye-piece is a faked rifle leaf. The 1903 leaf is on a proto-type base from around 1901, (I think).
Attachments
sight collection-1 (2).jpg
sight collection-1 (2).jpg (390.2 KiB) Viewed 1534 times
sight collection-3e.jpg
sight collection-3e.jpg (442.26 KiB) Viewed 1534 times

Whig

Post by Whig »

This is a confusing topic because of all of the variations in the Krag rear sights and the changes that occurred with different parts at different times. I am not as critical of the leaves and binding knobs, at this time, because so many of these have been switched around. The bases and eyepieces are the more critical parts I'm watching for.

The sight I am needing, if it does exist (debate looms on this fact) is a M1898 carbine rear sight that has had the eyepiece edges rounded off, without the Sgt Peep sight added, and it needs to correctly have the M1902 carbine base. A modified eyepiece on a M1898 base is not correct.

So, I have never actually seen a M1898 carbine eyepiece anywhere that has been modified for the M1902 sight stamped with a "c". I will keep searching for a while but may have to remove this from my "want" list unless I want to actually get one and modify it myself. Then I might have a unique Krag sight.

I have one M1902 carbine sight without a peep and two M1902 carbine sights with a peep.

I still like the original M1898 carbine rear sight the best. Love those three notched eyepieces!

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I think very highly of Grandpa's Gunparts (aka - Movieman630) and buy a lot of small parts from him.

He lists these converted model 1898 sight eye-pieces, which appear at first to be from model 1898 carbine sights.

However, it is my opinion the "C" is bogus and the notches are off-set to the right.
This was done only on the 1898 rifle eye-pieces to compensate for bullet rotational drift. This compensation was not done (nor was it necessary) on the carbine version.

Whig, what style of elevation 'locking-knob(s)' are present on your three 1902 carbine sights?
Attachments
questionable-1.jpg
questionable-1.jpg (96.69 KiB) Viewed 1524 times
quetionable-2.jpg
quetionable-2.jpg (3.89 KiB) Viewed 1524 times
questionable-3.jpg
questionable-3.jpg (18.97 KiB) Viewed 1524 times

Whig

Post by Whig »

I have seen that eyepiece on granpa's site and always wondered if it was authentic or not. But, I may be getting it at some point and matching it to a M1902 carbine base if I can't find the entire rear sight anywhere else.

I'm working on pictures of carbine sights.

This is my listing of current Krag rear sights, mounted and unmounted. It's not far from getting relatively complete understanding that there are dozens of combinations I am not seeking. I want the main grouping represented in my collection. Since I still need more M1896 carbine rear sights for mounting on some of my M1896 carbines, I don't have any of these loose. I will remove one for any pictures in the future.
Attachments
Krag rear sights.jpg
Krag rear sights.jpg (100.54 KiB) Viewed 1518 times

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

Six 1896 carbine sights is better than a 401 K !!! Very nice accumulation of rear sights