The Smithsonian Krag

U.S. Military Krags
kragluver2

Re: The Smithsonian Krag

Post by kragluver2 »

I read this patent and the Smithsonian description when I was doing research for my book. Your discussions here have taken this farther. Nice! I wonder what it would take to actually view the Smithsonian rifle :)

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

In case my fellow KCA members do not recognize his 'handle', Kragluver2 is a Texas gentleman by the name of K.M. Dorsett.

He is the author of an enjoyable read: "Development of the Krag Jorgensen Rifle for the U.S. Military - A Technical Assessment".

Ken Dorsett is an Aerospace Engineer. He describes himself not as a collector of Krags, but, an enthusiast, who's one Krag is a 'cut-down' Family/Hunting heirloom.

He enjoys shooting his Grandfather's 'sportered' Krag.
When the Family rifle came into his possession, it has stimulated his interest.
His 166 page paper-bound book has clear interesting graphics. It recounts his study, research and what he has learned about the testing and development of the Krag-Jorgensen.

It is an interesting 'take', that supplements other collector books on the Krag.

Ken, I enjoyed your book and I am glad you found this thread of interest.

Hmmm, the Smithsonian? I guess, I would explore their site, write or phone the Department involved, express your interest in seeing and handling their 'patent model' Krag, serial No. 94, and send them a complementary copy of your book. Worth a try and it establishes your legitimate interest!

(BTW - There is an earlier U.S. patent- #429,811, filed by Krag & Jorgensen on November 9, 1889 and granted June 10, 1890. The drawings with this application appear to show a Danish Krag.
I suspect, between the two U.S. Krag rifle patents, all Krag & Jorgensen's innovations were protected. Actually, the most significant thing in patent #492,212 may have been the downward hinged magazine-gate, rather than the dual lugs)?

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

I also found Ken's book interesting, well written and very readable. It should have a place in every Krag collectors library.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I wish I could decipher this fuzzy hang tag.
Attachments
sia-krag-hang tag1 (2).png
sia-krag-hang tag1 (2).png (89.15 KiB) Viewed 993 times
sia-krag-hang tag2 (2).png
sia-krag-hang tag2 (2).png (127.55 KiB) Viewed 993 times

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I now suspect the 'patent model' dual-lug Smithsonian Krag, number 94, was part of the display, by the U.S. Patent Office, at the 1893 Chicago World's Fair.

The Patent Office was under the Department of the Interior.
At the 1893 Chicago "Columbian Exposition", the Patent Office is mentioned in the Trumbull White 'guide book' as having a display of arms from the earliest models to the most modern.

I cited another guide book, at the beginning of this thread. This guide, (that rambles a bit), mentioned a display in the Government Building which included a 'Crag-Jorgensen' rifle patented in 1893.
Now, it seems clear to me that the author was referring to the display by the U.S. Patent Office (and not the War Department or Smithsonian displays, that were in different sections of the same building).

I have, so far, been unable to find any photos of the Patent Office display at the 1893 Columbian Exposition.
The following points are factual:

1. The Patent Office did have a display at the 1893 Columbian Exposition in the U.S. Government Building.
2. Part of that exhibit involved showing the 'evolution of firearms'. (This is supported by some period guide-book descriptions).
3. The Patent Office possessed a dual locking-lug Krag Rifle, submitted by the inventors as a model, with their 1892 patent application. The patent was approved in February, 1893.

It is not proven, but I think it very likely, that the Smithsonian's "Patent Model Krag-Jorgensen Rifle", serial #94, was part of the Patent Office Display at Chicago in 1893.
Attachments
gb122.jpg
gb122.jpg (483.48 KiB) Viewed 902 times
united states gov. building Patent Office Display.jpg
united states gov. building Patent Office Display.jpg (226.88 KiB) Viewed 902 times
ce-TrumbullWhite-pg-0-ed.jpg
ce-TrumbullWhite-pg-0-ed.jpg (180.84 KiB) Viewed 912 times
ce-TrumbullWhite-pg466-P.O.-ed.jpg
ce-TrumbullWhite-pg466-P.O.-ed.jpg (450.07 KiB) Viewed 912 times

kragluver2

Post by kragluver2 »

Good stuff! Thanks for the free plugs on the book. It's not like it will fund my retirement, but I tease with my wife that it will.

I found the Smithsonian Krag very interesting. This thread has added to the information we now have.

I agree too that between the two Krag patents they covered all the patentable features of the magazine and firing system.