U.S.S. Michigan - renamed "Wolverine"

U.S. Military Krags
butlersrangers

U.S.S. Michigan - renamed "Wolverine"

Post by butlersrangers »

Yesterday on the way home we stopped at Erie, Pa., to see the Erie Maritime Museum.

Awesome displays and videos! - In addition to a docked sailing replica of Perry's ship, the U.S.S. Niagara, the museum now houses the surviving parts of the U.S.S. Michigan.

This Great Lakes gunboat had an 80 year career, (1843-1923). The "Michigan" was the first iron-hulled ship in the U.S.N.
It was 'pre-fabricated' in Pittsburgh, moved in parts by water-ways to Erie, Pa., and reassembled at Erie.

The Michigan was renamed the U.S.S. Wolverine in 1905, to 'free-up' the name for a Battleship.
The Michigan was propelled by 'side-wheels'. Although obsolete, it was used for eleven years as a Pennsylvania Naval Militia training vessel.
In 1923 while cruising near Mackinac, the port engine connecting-rod broke from metal fatigue and the Wolverine 'limped' back to its home port at Erie, Pa.
The Navy refused the funds required to repair the vessel.
President Roosevelt saw the symbolic value of the vessel, during WW2, which avoided its wartime destruction for scrap metal.

Local efforts to raise funds to preserve the Michigan fell short and in 1949, it was scrapped. The salvage company owner saved some parts for posterity.
Attachments
USS Michigan-renamed Wolverine.jpg
USS Michigan-renamed Wolverine.jpg (351.02 KiB) Viewed 866 times
USS Wolverine-Pa. Naval Reserves.jpg
USS Wolverine-Pa. Naval Reserves.jpg (377.84 KiB) Viewed 866 times
Last edited by butlersrangers on Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:57 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Re: U.S.S. Michigan - renamed "Wolverine"

Post by Ned Butts »

Sailors with Krags c.1912 1917 interesting

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I am a bit suspicious on the dating of the photo of 'sailors with Krags and Mills Belts'.
IMHO - The officer caps and 'looped' Mills Belts of the men seem archaic for the 1912 to 1917 period.
(I titled the close-up view as 'Pa. Naval Militia', but, that may be wrong).

If the men are USN, it is from between 1905 and 1912.
If the men are Pennsylvania Naval Militia, it would date after 1912.

The USS Michigan was renamed the USS Wolverine in 1905. (The Paddle Frigate in the photo is the "Wolverine").

The USS Wolverine was decommissioned and loaned to Pa. Naval Militia from 1912 to 1923.

Although, Naval Militia uniforms often are 'out of date' in style, the officer caps, I believe, are usually more current.

The style of officer cap and the absence of a Naval Militia flag, suggest to me that these may be USN Sailors around 1905.
Attachments
USS Wolverine ed.jpg
USS Wolverine ed.jpg (298.65 KiB) Viewed 823 times

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

More photos of displays at the Erie Maritime Museum.

One pic shows an undated/unspecified photograph of Krag armed U.S. Marines, marching in a 'celebration parade'.
The Marines are followed by Sailors with traditional sailor caps and a dog mascot. (Erie, Pa.)?
The Sailors may be wearing Mills Belts?

There is also a 1913 photo of Pennsylvania Naval Militia taken during the Centennial of Perry's Victory in the Naval Battle at Put In Bay.
A couple of Militia sailors appear to be holding small dogs and the seated Lt. Morrison appears to be holding a 'stuffed animal' at his feet. (A toy Wolverine)?
Attachments
undated photo of Marines - Erie Maritime Museum display.jpg
undated photo of Marines - Erie Maritime Museum display.jpg (372.19 KiB) Viewed 817 times
USS Michigan-Wolverine.jpg
USS Michigan-Wolverine.jpg (265.75 KiB) Viewed 817 times
USS Michigan prow.jpg
USS Michigan prow.jpg (260.96 KiB) Viewed 817 times
USS Wolverine - Pa. Naval Militia crew.jpg
USS Wolverine - Pa. Naval Militia crew.jpg (256.23 KiB) Viewed 817 times
USS Wolverine 1913 edit (3).jpg
USS Wolverine 1913 edit (3).jpg (271.06 KiB) Viewed 817 times
Last edited by butlersrangers on Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

In related reading, I found out that the U.S.S. Michigan was stationed at Chicago during the 1893 'Columbian Exposition'.

For the occasion, the 'black hulled' Michigan was painted white, to better match the period USN 'color scheme'.
An over-size pilot house was installed to accommodate charts for Great Lakes Survey work.

The USN crew of the Michigan did service on the Pinta, the Nina, and the Santa Maria. (The reproduction ships that were friendly gifts from Spain).

At Chicago, the crew also did service on the stationary brick battleship, the 'USS Illinois'.

Doubly Reincarnated

Post by Doubly Reincarnated »

You guys of course know about the next USS Wolverine, the paddle-wheel aircraft carrier that thrashed about Lake Michigan during WW2. I was only 4 or 5 when I saw it, but IIRC, it was tied up at Navy Pier in Chicago.