26" barrel Krag?

U.S. Military Krags
butlersrangers

Re: 26" barrel Krag?

Post by butlersrangers »

It is a nice looking sporter!

Receiver is not in the serial number range of the BoO&F rifles.

GBertolet

Post by GBertolet »

Thank you. You have answered my question.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Close but no cigar. Legit 26" barrel rifles occur in small clumps in the 387-389k range - the prototype was 385120. I own 388786 and 389182, neither of which is completely original, but I acquired them for virtually nothing by keeping my eyes open. The latter is the more original of the two, suffering only from a bobbed stock - the special sights (yes, the front blade is different too!) are present. 388786 is configured as a carbine - which seems completely logical, given the nature of the trials, but I have yet to find documentation.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Bump for BoOF content

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

All I can say is WOW!!

MY biggest question would be where has it been, and how or from whom was it acquired?

As to being the prototype, I'm not at my books just now, and do not recall whether there was some record that said it WAS the prototype, or that it was an educated assumption that it was because it was known to be the only 'right' one found so far from the "production" clusters.

Given the pristine appearance of the rifle, and that there is no end plug, one would certainly presume the stock to be correct, but I'm pretty sure this could be determined by X-ray.