26" barrel Krag?

U.S. Military Krags
GBertolet

26" barrel Krag?

Post by GBertolet »

I have a 1898 Krag, that was somewhat sporterized. It was drilled and tapped for a side mount scope, by a previous owner. The barrel is 26" long. There is no front sight, but there is a flat on the barrel, where a front sight base would go. I thought Krags came only in 30 and 22" models. Was there a special run of 26" barrel Krags?

butlersrangers

Re: 26" barrel Krag?

Post by butlersrangers »

The Board of Ordnance & Fortifications trial rifles were made with 26 inch barrels.
These rifles are extremely rare, especially with their 'hand-stamped' M-1901 Buffington rear-sight, intact.

There is no real reason to believe your Krag's 26 inch barrel is original.

Since your rifle has been altered for 'sporting' purposes, it is probable that your barrel was shortened from 30 inches.
It is probably just a coincidence that it happens to be 26 inches.

The Board of Ordnance & Fortifications rifles were made in 1902 and fall within a specific serial number range, 387K to 389K.

Dick Hosmer is very knowledgeable about this model.

FredC

Post by FredC »

BR,
Is it possible this rifle had a surplus 26 in barrel as a replacement? If so instead of a flat near the muzzle there maybe the remains of an SA dovetail with brazing residue. Anyone could have shortened a 30 inch barrel and machined or filed a flat for mounting an accessory sight probably the most probable explanation. If the barrel does have dovetail remains, I would say we would like to see photos.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I agree Fred.

There are a very few "real" Springfield Armory 26 inch barrels.
There are a lot more Krag 30" rifle barrels, that got shortened to about 26" for Hunting.

Close scrutiny of an 'altered' barrel's muzzle area can sometimes reveal interesting clues.

"A flat near the muzzle" is not likely to be Springfield Armory work.

GBertolet

Post by GBertolet »

Here are two photo's. Were the front sights on the Krags soldered on? If not how were they attached?
Attachments
IMG_0546.JPG
IMG_0546.JPG (122.46 KiB) Viewed 1379 times
IMG_0545.JPG
IMG_0545.JPG (56.02 KiB) Viewed 1379 times

FredC

Post by FredC »

I do not see any trace of a dovetail. Perhaps others can tell if it is the right distance to the end. Perhaps a dove tail was there and filed out? Seem to see some solder residue there. Still the most likely answer is this was a 30 inch rifle barrel and cut and milled to fit some aftermarket sight.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'Parashooter', long ago, provided a photograph that clearly shows the margins and bronze-brazing of the Springfield Armory installation of the Krag front sight.

It must be understood that there were 30 some major operations in the manufacture of a Krag barrel.
About halfway in the process, before rifling the bore and shaping of the exterior barrel contour, a dovetail was machined across the 'tube', near what would become the muzzle.

A steel block was fitted and bronze-brazed into the dovetail. This served as a 'positioning lug' for some manufacturing steps, such as, timing of barrel-breech threads, positioning rear-sight holes, and locating the extractor slot.

Eventually, the 'steel-block' was contoured, slotted and drilled, to form the completed Krag front-sight base.

Because of metal finish and patina, it is not always easy to see the dovetail margins and bronze-brazing seam of the Krag front-sight installation.

IMHO - The 'flat' on GBertolet's barrel does not look like the remains of a SA dovetail. It also appears too far to the rear of the muzzle crown.

Attached: Parashooter's wonderful picture and a photo from the KCA main page.
Attachments
parashooter-front_sight_017.png
parashooter-front_sight_017.png (187.77 KiB) Viewed 1371 times
1896carbines05.jpg
1896carbines05.jpg (153.69 KiB) Viewed 1371 times

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

FWIW - A few years ago, I bought a 22" Krag barrel off eBay. It was sold as a shortened Rifle barrel.

When the barrel arrived, I could see that it was actually an 'altered' original carbine barrel.
The SA front-sight base had been filed flush with the barrel contour. A crude dovetail was filed into the barrel to accommodate a small commercial front-sight. The 'outline' of some of the original sight was still noticeable.

BTW - The OP's Krag serial number, (or part of it), would likely answer his question.
Attachments
IMG_3996-ed.jpg
IMG_3996-ed.jpg (85.79 KiB) Viewed 1366 times

FredC

Post by FredC »

Well the flat is near to the correct spot. With no trace of the original dovetail angles its collector value would be gone even if it was an original 26 incher. So right now it is a practical length for a sporter. My 1917 Enfield has the original 26 barrel length. Good velocity and reduced perceived muzzle blast. Shot many pigs off hand with it and my ears did not ring. So all said a practical nice looking sporter.

GBertolet

Post by GBertolet »

3130XX