BoOF Rifle?

U.S. Military Krags
Whig

BoOF Rifle?

Post by Whig »

Dick-

Is this one of your treasured favorite Krag rifles?

SN: 388649

Maybe you want a third?

I have enough. Don't need more Krags but it may be a nice opportunity to take a chance!

https://www.proxibid.com/Firearms-Milit ... 4#topoflot

butlersrangers

Re: BoOF Rifle?

Post by butlersrangers »

Krag , #388649, is listed in Frank Mallory's "Krag Riffle Story", 2nd edition, page 247, (Table of Significant Serial Numbers).

It is recorded twice as a BoOF Rife, observed by Joe DeChristopher and Tom Pearce.

It would have been nice if the auction photos showed the rear-sight leaf and a close-up of the front base. (But then, it is an auction, not a gun clinic).

Thanks for sharing Whig. I hope it goes to a nice home. (I am not a 'Player').

BTW - When I recently went to Springfield Armory, I picked up a NPS "Wish List" from one of the Rangers. A U.S. Model 1898 Board of Ordnance and Fortifications Rifle is on the Museum's Want List.

(It would be nice to help out for posterity).
Last edited by butlersrangers on Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Whig

Post by Whig »

It looks like a good specimen-rear sight verification pending. But, I'm not interested. Have other goals for funds. That would be a real investment. No bids with starting bid at $3500. The museum would be happy with that one probably!

Knute1

Post by Knute1 »

Here is a YouTube video where this specimen I believe is discussed in the last half of the video. (We'll forgive the commentator for pronouncing Krag and Jorgensen wrong, he otherwise does a good presentation.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-LHnAbAzZM

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Thanks Knute, I believe you are correct about the end part of the video showing this BoOF rifle.
I paused the video and the rear-sight leaf is a carbine type and appears to have hand stamped and inscribed graduations.

IIRC - The bayonet, if correct, is as unique as the rifle.

The auction information indicates these Krag pieces are from the "George Moller collection". I am sure George Moller was known personally by some of our 'pioneer' KCA Forum members.

It appears this BoOF rifle has sold for $6,000.

Knute1

Post by Knute1 »

Here is a video by RIA of George Moller. There isn't anything specific to the Krag here, but it shows who the man was. Good tribute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6wXpmqd3iY

Whig

Post by Whig »

I like how the guy in the video shows the "PC Carbine" which is actually, of course, a "JFC" cartouched school rifle. But, many of these have been mis-represented over the years.

The $6,000 gives a good market value of the BoOF rifle, though.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

A possible BoOF - Krag bayonet, that was in the Bill Mook collection.
Attachments
BoOF-bayonet (2).jpg
BoOF-bayonet (2).jpg (153.93 KiB) Viewed 1279 times

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Don't know how I missed this thread! Nice shot of Bill Mook's bayonet. Wonder how many more will magically appear for huge sums? Yes, I'm looking for a third, so as to be able to make a stack, but I need to steal it just like the first two. :) :) :)