New owner with questions.

U.S. Military Krags
Fivestring63

Re: New owner with questions.

Post by Fivestring63 »

OK I figured out why the cutoff wouldn't go in. It looks like a factory thing where they drilled 2 holes on the side of the receiver and installed plugs or something in there. You can see on the one pic where the cutoff is hitting one of them.
K12.jpg
K12.jpg (34.1 KiB) Viewed 693 times
K11.jpg
K11.jpg (40.94 KiB) Viewed 693 times

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'Fivestring63' - It appears to me that your receiver was drilled & tapped for three or four scope-mount screws.

The holes have apparently been crudely filled, likely using screws with the heads filed-off.

It also appears one or two of the added holes intersect the hole for the magazine cut-off shaft.
This would explain the problem with installing the cut-off lever.

Oh, btw, you qualify for the "Feet of the KCA Club". In the future, wear fancy socks to 'upgrade' to the Formal Division.
Attachments
Krag1.jpg
Krag1.jpg (63.13 KiB) Viewed 692 times
Krag4.jpg
Krag4.jpg (60.09 KiB) Viewed 692 times
a foot.jpg
a foot.jpg (36.73 KiB) Viewed 692 times

Fivestring63

Post by Fivestring63 »

Ha. I saw my foot in there but was hoping nobody else would. LOL Yea I figured somebody drilled the holes for a scope and filled it with a screw. It is threaded. I'm hoping I can get in there with a dremel and get it down close for the cutoff to fit.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Don't be too hasty. Dremel tools often make things worse!

If it were my model 1896 carbine, I would patiently wait and seek out an expert gunsmith/restorer, who can properly and almost invisibly patch those unsightly receiver holes.

Hopefully a KCA member, who has had this type of work done will respond and advise.

You can certainly use and enjoy your carbine, as it is, while exploring options.

Fivestring63

Post by Fivestring63 »

Too late. LOL I just dremelled the inside just enough for the cutoff to fit through. It works perfectly now and it didn't open up the holes on the side of the receiver. I'm a mechanical millwright so I tinker. I used to buy cheap guns with minor problems, fix them and re-sell. This is a keeper though.
K12.jpg
K12.jpg (34.1 KiB) Viewed 685 times