You don't see this everyday.

U.S. Military Krags
FredC

Re: You don't see this everyday.

Post by FredC »

Depending on how fast the side cover flew off it could have severely injured the shooters arm. Hopefully it missed. From what is left i suspect the shooter's eyes would have escaped injury. I got a feeling the shooter's ears were ringing for several days.

Case head would have slid back to the bolt face. Without examination it would be hard to tell how much gas leaked out between the bolt face and the end of the cartridge. I have seen other barrels bulge just behind the obstruction, maybe it was a squib in the area under the hand guard.
Yeah, it should have been disassembled to learn stuff then documented.

So much left untold.

Still think one run over by a truck would be interesting. But I am unwilling to contribute one of mine, not even the parts unit.

Just filled out an excuse form for jury duty. One of my excuses is my first appointment with the eye surgeon is on the same day, and I have been waiting a long time to get the surgery and my need is getting critical. Driving has not gotten to the terrifying level yet but will not be far away. This morning heard the skunk's footsteps first and thought the goofball cat was playing games with me again. After it bumped into my leg, I looked down and saw the black and white outline and realized it was not Goofball.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Pep'e Le Pew?
Attachments
I dont know.jpg
I dont know.jpg (34.21 KiB) Viewed 1041 times
Last edited by butlersrangers on Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

FredC

Post by FredC »

Good to know that I still see better than a skunk at night, but my night vision without the scope is getting worse dramatically. Just got the email back from the judge excusing me from jury duty. Sure do not have time for that, and did not want to go back to the end of the line in getting my eyes fixed.

FredC

Post by FredC »

Left Eye done.. Pull the patch tomorrow. hope to be able to see.
Attachments
Me.jpg
Me.jpg (111.69 KiB) Viewed 984 times

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'FredC', I'd hate to see the other Guy!

Heal up fast! I hope everything goes well, Buddy.

FredC

Post by FredC »

Doc pulled the patch off and it sure is different. Not as clear yet, but brighter and cleaner. Blue sky looks dirty and smoggy from the right eye, intense blue now from the left. The old glasses prescription is off with the newly installed replacement lens as would be expected, please excuse typos for a while.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

FredC - If you collect a pair of those patches, you can look like 'Spiderman', next Halloween.

When you are through all this, you will be amazed at the improvement in your vision!

I hope everything goes well & remember your eye-drops.

(I had to make an elaborate 'calendar/time-list', with little check boxes, so that I could correctly use my various drops.
The multiple drops were different for the eye that was healing and the eye that was pending surgery, a week later.
I didn't want to screw-up).

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I started this thread, over a year ago, in January of 2022, openly wondering what happened to this U.S. Krag, serial number 170493.
This model 1898 Krag rifle underwent damage in the Philippines and is mentioned four times in Mallory's SRS serial number data.

The rifle belongs to the Smithsonian. It is in their remote arms collection-storage facility and not on public view.
(Most unfortunate, because this rifle has a rather amazing tale)!

Back in 2022, I and others speculated on what caused such damage.
I barked up the wrong tree. I thought it was likely from a 'bore obstruction'.

Today, the late Franklin Mallory spoke from the past and the story got more interesting!

On 'Gunboards' a post by 'artyldr01', made on the 'American Arsenal' sub-forum, sought the location of model 1898 Krag serial number 172442.

Attached to the 'Gunboards' post was a (1990) 'SRS letter' from Frank Mallory, to the (then) owner of Krag rifle, number 172442.

I'll be danged!
Frank's letter not only gave information on the requested serial number, which was an SRS hit,
but he also threw light on the story of the battered Smithsonian rifle, serial number 170493.

"... another Krag issued to the 26th U.S. Volunteer Infantry, number 170493, wounded by an insurgent bullet in the Philippines, reposes in the Smithsonian."

(I'm guessing the projectile must have struck the Krag's left 'side-plate', inflicting the receiver and bolt damage)?

Hopefully, the U.S. The Volunteer Soldier was not seriously injured.

What a fortunate twist to this Krag's Story!
(I suspect Frank Mallory's research notes contain many good stories and not just spartan numbers).
Attachments
smithsonian damaged Krag-4ed.png
smithsonian damaged Krag-4ed.png (179.72 KiB) Viewed 504 times
Mallory srs letter.jpg
Mallory srs letter.jpg (355.69 KiB) Viewed 504 times
smithsonian damaged Krag-1 (2).png
smithsonian damaged Krag-1 (2).png (477.63 KiB) Viewed 504 times

FredC

Post by FredC »

It took me a couple minutes to figure out the letter was about another rifle and 493 was only mentioned in passing.

It would be interesting to see the other side. Only guessing here but the bullet strike was opposite and the left side is showing fractures from impact from the right side maybe the bolt was struck almost exactly in the middle, perhaps just below the pressure relief hole.

With the added info I am thinking I am seeing material pushed out and the pieces missing are from fractures in the heat-treated material. The crack in the receiver does look like an outward bulge, which would fit and an outward bulge (it appears to me) in the rear part of the bolt opening. The dent in the firing pin sort of goes with this idea also.

Maybe the rifle was leaning up against a tree with no injury to the operator?

I went and looked at your comments again and your speculation that it may have been a left side strike:
Quote "(I'm guessing the projectile must have struck the Krag's left 'side-plate', inflicting the receiver and bolt damage)?"
The outward bulges I think I am seeing are from rebound after the bullet strike? Possibly, sure would be nice to see a photo of the other side. If there is nothing of interest on the other side your suggestion would be more plausible.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Smithsonian photo (and my edits) showing the other side, 'FredC'.

The 'hang tag' shows an acquisition number and the source, ('War Department').

The photos do not reveal any damage to the right-side of action.

(The carbine handguard (1902 vintage) and the 1901 rear-sight are likely incorrect 'stateside' replacements.
A model 1896 rear-sight & handguard would have been part of its original configuration.
Maybe the original rear-sight and handguard were 'OK' and were salvaged for spare parts in the Philippines)?

Per Mallory's SRS Letter, the 26th U.S. Vol. Inf. embarked for the Philippines in September 1899 and returned to the U.S. in March, 1901.
(Krag Rifle, #170493, was issued to the 26th USV Inf., in July 1899, before the unit left for the Philippines).

U.S. Model 1898 rifle #170493 was likely assembled around February 1899.

Per the "KRS" book appendix, which contains SRS data, there are four mentions of Krag rifle #170493:

1. It was issued to the 26th U.S. Vol. Infantry on 07/15/1899.
2. On 11/21/99, this rifle was recovered at Balangtan, Panay. P.I.
3. On 07/20/1900, the same rifle is listed as a 'battle loss' for Co. D, 26th USV Inf.
4. It is again recorded on 06/07/1901 OCO (sent by Capt. R.S. Griswold).
[The Office of Chief of Ordnance?]

By all rights, this U.S. model 1898 rifle is one of the most documented Krag-Jorgensen rifles.
It deserves to be on public display, rather than in storage, at the National Firearms Collection of the Smithsonian.
Attachments
Mallory srs letter-edit.jpg
Mallory srs letter-edit.jpg (42.61 KiB) Viewed 412 times
NMAH-AHB2015q031924.jpg
NMAH-AHB2015q031924.jpg (106.69 KiB) Viewed 455 times
NMAH-Smithsonian-edit.jpg
NMAH-Smithsonian-edit.jpg (116.67 KiB) Viewed 455 times
NMAH-Smithsonian tag2.jpg
NMAH-Smithsonian tag2.jpg (11.91 KiB) Viewed 455 times