Board of Ordance and Fortifications Rifle ????

U.S. Military Krags
03collector

Re: Board of Ordance and Fortifications Rifle ????

Post by 03collector »

Well if you want i could post a pic of the page in the catalog that discusses the rifle. Also the page that talks about the bayonet.
April 2002 that rifle sold for $4250.00 thats the hammer price that doesn't include the 15% fee.

WAGON

Post by WAGON »

Wow that is interesting. You can either post the pic's---which would probably be interesting for other collector's to see or e-mail them to me (mjacksonmoraine@att.net) It would be nice to have copy of auction page. But might enable me to contact auction and see if they could steer me to purchaser of the bayonet lot you mentioned. I realize it is a long shot. I am surprised at sale price you stated but I am more interested in the history. I have had great luck on 03's/Garand's and 1911's back tracing information on my collection. And the member's here are a vast source of information Thank's

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

A bayonet for the BoOF rifle appears to be rather rare air.

I suspect that Springfield Armory did not make one for each BoOF rifle.
I suspect they were not matched to specific rifles.
But, this is just my ignorant 'top of the head opinion' and subject to being proven very wrong.

It would be smart to follow any possible leads, like seeking out the Johnathan Peck auction 'buyer'.

Attached is a 'detail photo' of one that once belonged to Bill Mook.

Since Springfield, apparently, just took regular Krag bayonets, bored-out the guard for the taper of the BoOF barrel, and stamped "26" on them, fakery is always a concern.

Still, it is possible one could go unrecognized and be on a gun-show table as a regular Krag bayonet!
Attachments
BoOF-bayonet - Bill Mook.jpg
BoOF-bayonet - Bill Mook.jpg (153.93 KiB) Viewed 997 times

WAGON

Post by WAGON »

As usual I am learning the pic of bayonet is good info

WAGON

Post by WAGON »

Good afternoon Earlier in this thread 03 collector stated he could post some of the pages from the 2002 auction. I would like to see that and maybe try and trace bayonet down ( long shot after 20 year's). Thank's to you guy's and your knowledge this gun will have an accompanying folder with it forever. I will admit I might be catching the Krag bug. If he see's this I hope he will post or contact me mjacksonmoraine@att.net. I have tried to create a folder on each 1903 and Garand that I have so next generation will realize these are our history Any other info or comment's are welcome Mike

03collector

Post by 03collector »

Here are the pictures of the auction catalog. Jonathan Peck's collection was loaded with fine quality Springfield firearms and accessories - trapdoors, Krags, and 1903's. All in pristine condition. I believe it is the 2nd from the top bayonet in lot 369 that is the 26" marked bayonet.
20220508_092103xx.jpg
20220508_092103xx.jpg (1017.15 KiB) Viewed 966 times
20220508_092149xx.jpg
20220508_092149xx.jpg (861.92 KiB) Viewed 966 times
20220508_091935xx.jpg
20220508_091935xx.jpg (976.94 KiB) Viewed 966 times
I would like to hear feedback from the regulars on this site - if you'd like, I could post other photos of interesting Krags as well as trapdoors from this auction catalog. This truly was an amazing collection. FYI, the so-called Philippine Constabulary Krag (item 133) pictured above the BO & F rifle is just as staggering in condition. I know, because I have held that firearm. It sold for $6250.

I would also like to thank my wife for doing all the work on this post. I might know a thing or two about Springfields, but when it comes to computers I am as dumb as a box of rocks. :lol:

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

03collector - Thanks to you for responding and preserving your auction catalog and to your wife for her technical role.

I would enjoy seeing more photos of significant auctioned Krags, but probably in a new thread, so as to not hijack this one.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

redundant
Last edited by butlersrangers on Mon May 09, 2022 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Baltimoreed

Post by Baltimoreed »

Amazing Krag indeed.
[Thought it was interesting but my 1899 Constabulary Rifle -August 1900- is 50,000 rifles away from the Lot 133 rifle in the photo.]
Last edited by Baltimoreed on Mon May 09, 2022 5:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

A new thread with pictures and available info on the Peck collection would be informative