Board of Ordance and Fortifications Rifle ????

U.S. Military Krags
03collector

Re: Board of Ordance and Fortifications Rifle ????

Post by 03collector »

I totally agree i wont be able to do it for about a week or so. Going on vacation but when i get back i will get on it.
I have used this catalog many times as a reference to my Krags and 03 collecting.

WAGON

Post by WAGON »

I would love to see it and thank you for posting the auction information you have so far ! Ok I have pic's attached of inside of stock Tell me good or bad what you think i want to learn , The pic's are om imagur now THANK'S MIKE

WAGON

Post by WAGON »

It does have a lightening cut between front and rear band, I believe that is not supposed to be ? No signs of any repairs or modifications to front of stock and it fit's like a glove. Wrong ?

Lead Snowstorm

Post by Lead Snowstorm »

Ned Butts wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 10:27 am A new thread with pictures and available info on the Peck collection would be informative
Agreed!

Also, I imagine many here are already aware that a goodly number of the Peck collection are featured in Ball’s atlas “Springfield Armory Shoulder Weapons 1795-1968” (but not, incidentally, including the Krags under discussion here).

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'Wagon', I am sorry for any anxiety caused.
I believe, I was mistaken (earlier in this thread) in posting there was no lightening channel in the forearm between the barrel-bands.

I now realize the BoOF stocks were likely made with two 'lightening' channels: the channel behind the rear barrel-band and a forward channel, that occupies some of the forearm between the barrel-bands.

I wish someone had caught my error.
I have never handled or directly seen a BoOF rifle.
My thinking error was a result of misinterpreting a murky photograph!

I just got back home again from Florida, tonight, and was able to review my books.
William Brophy, has a photo in "The Krag Rifle", that contrasts the forearm of a BoO&F stock with the regular stock for the 30" barrel.
The exposure is dark, but in the gloom, you can just make out some of the front 'lightening channel' on the BoO&F forearm.

I hope this jives with the stock of your '26 inch' barrel Krag.
Attachments
IMG_9942.JPG
IMG_9942.JPG (200.16 KiB) Viewed 988 times
back from Florida.jpg
back from Florida.jpg (90.73 KiB) Viewed 988 times

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'Wagon Mike' - Your BoO&F rifle was certainly known to the late Joe Poyer. Your serial number is listed in one of his tables as the lowest number BoO&F rifle.

Also attached is more content from Brophy's, "The Krag Rifle", that shows a rear-sight apparently identical to yours.
The model 1901 sight for the BoO&F rifle has a straight ramp and lacks a 'flat step' at the top of the ramp, (which is present on all other 1901 sight variations).
Attachments
IMG_9951.JPG
IMG_9951.JPG (264.7 KiB) Viewed 973 times
IMG_9949.JPG
IMG_9949.JPG (358.44 KiB) Viewed 973 times
IMG_9946.JPG
IMG_9946.JPG (199.56 KiB) Viewed 973 times
krag 1901 sights compared.jpg
krag 1901 sights compared.jpg (114.09 KiB) Viewed 973 times

WAGON

Post by WAGON »

Good evening all ! You gentleman are a fountain of knowledge and I GREATLY admire and appreciate all the great info. As stated 40 year collector mostly 1911A1's / M1 garand's and 1903's. Jules Kosan ( his gun's are pictured in Chuck Clawson's book's) when I was starting out buy and sell standard gun's and keep the variation's. Being young and dumb-----I listened! I did that with 45's and went into Garand's and 1903's. I have met some wonderful and knowledgeable people. I bought this rifle due to condition and got lucky. I am the caretaker history owns it. Please keep info coming I have traced back mt 1903NM's and GarandNM's back to original buyer's so that each has a history and a file. I have met some great and helpful people in doing the resaerch. I wanted to get the pic's of stock for you guy's so all of us would be sure it was correct (I wasn't-- but you guy's supplied the info, taking the time to do so to confirm it). I am going to see if auction company might get a hold of bayonet buyer this week. There is not a big enough "THANK YOU" made for you guy's. I want to learn more so keep commenting. I will talk to seller at OGCA in July, he lives in Georgia. I will find the last 20 years of history and put it on here. I am glad some of the pic's were posted You guys are fantastic Keep adding as you run across stuff on all the rifles in this group

WAGON

Post by WAGON »

Good evening all I called Little John's Auction Svc today The were very polite and told me they had no record's prior to 2009. He stated that there had been some sort of parting with a long term manager and he thought that was where record's were (?????? ) He did give me her name and she had started her own Auction House. I called her she was very nice understood why I was calling but she had no idea about any records. She did remember the collection being sold and Mr Peck, she told me the gentleman who checked in the items and wrote the descriptions had passed away a few years ago. She took my name and number and when she talks to her clientel who are familiar with Krag's she will give them my number. I thought I might try and contact Donald Hartman who wrote a book on Krag bayonets and see if he might have an idea where it might be. Mike

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Springfield Armory does have a 26" barreled BoOF rifle, #387869, in the museum's collection (SPAR 6373).

The SPAR 6373 description says the rifle is missing its rear-sight.
The photograph in the museum's 'listing' shows an arm in a model 1898 carbine stock.

In the SA listing's 'note field', SPAR 6373 is sometimes described as a 'model 1896 rifle', apparently a gross error.
I suspect SA may have also used a carbine photograph by mistake.
Attachments
SPAR 6373 serial number-387869.jpg
SPAR 6373 serial number-387869.jpg (11.55 KiB) Viewed 940 times

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

(Trying to make sense of the Springfield Armory BoOF rifle that is cataloged as SPAR 6373).

Last Fall, I visited the Springfield Armory National Historic Site.
I photographed one of the display cases that featured Krag carbines and trial arms.

It is very possible that the "model 1896" (sic) Board of Ordnance & Fortifications rifle, in the case, is actually BoO&F rifle serial number - 387869, (SPAR 6373).

IMHO - The rifle I photographed in the display case matches the catalog description for SPAR 6373.
Attachments
IMG_8086-SA.jpg
IMG_8086-SA.jpg (450.15 KiB) Viewed 934 times
IMG_8086 SA-BoOF.png
IMG_8086 SA-BoOF.png (615.01 KiB) Viewed 934 times