Board of Ordance and Fortifications Rifle ????

U.S. Military Krags
King carp

Re: Board of Ordance and Fortifications Rifle ????

Post by King carp »

WOW!

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

All I can say is WOW!!

MY biggest question would be where has it been, and how or from whom was it acquired?

As to being the prototype, I'm not at my books just now, and do not recall whether there was some record that said it WAS the prototype, or that it was an educated assumption that it was because it was known to be the only 'right' one found so far from the "production" clusters.

Given the pristine appearance of the rifle, and that there is no end plug, one would certainly presume the stock to be correct, but I'm pretty sure this could be determined by X-ray.

FredC

Post by FredC »

WOWSERS! I have been waiting a long time to see a Krag worth a Gazillion dollars, this might be it.

Added thoughts:
Since these BoOF rifles were never put in service, if you find one it has better odds of being in pristine condition with little or no use? Certainly no need for rebuilds. Of the 100 or so built, I wonder how many were converted back to rifle or carbine configuration by SA? Frugal people at SA had paid the royalty on these correct? Seems a waste to frugal people not to put them to use by conversion to one of the two configurations. Who knew that 125 years later they would be sought after?

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

FredC, interesting point. I acquired 388786 configured as a carbine, in an un-cartouched stock, with a 1902C sight (which is scarce in its' own right). I am of the opinion that, as part of their fooling around/testing, etc. they may well have said - "let's fit one (or more?) of these as carbines, just to see how it feels/handles/etc." I've searched for the full test report but so far have not found a copy. It might, or might not, confirm that theory - but that is one of the reasons I've not yet "restored" it. 389182 is an entirely different case, being 100% right except for the stock being whacked 1/4" ahead of the band - that one I do plan to fix, but am waffling between sacrificing a good 1902 stock, or doing a graft on my stump.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

"Wagon Mike's" photographs give a nice view of the BoOF front barrel-band.

It was likely 'stretched' over an arbor, prior to receiving the rust-blue finish.
It properly fits the larger diameter, required by the more rearward-placement on the taper of the 26" BoOF barrel.

03collector

Post by 03collector »

Your BO & F rifle was in the collection of Jonathan Peck. He had one of the finest Springfield collections in the country, both in quality and quantity. I thought your serial number sounded familiar. I have an auction catalog from April 2002 for the Jonathan Peck collection. This auction contained his entire collection. In the catalog, the condition of your rifle was described as "complete and original throughout, excellent+ with 99% of the original finish overall, the stock with a few minor handling marks, and near perfect script 'JAS/1902' inspection mark." (I believe that was a typo, should have been JSA.)

I do have the prices realized list for this entire auction, including that rifle. The only bad news is that the rifle still had the original bayonet, marked 26, but it was sold separately in the auction, in a lot with three other bayonets. The lot sold for $800.

On one of the grips, the bayonet was stamped "6/K/2/2". On Jonathan Peck's tag for the bayonet, he stated that it was for the 26" barrel rifle, and that it was the only one known (but we know that's no longer true).

I had met Mr. Peck a number of times at various gun shows, and also at American Society of Arms Collectors meetings. He was a real gentleman and helped me out in my collecting of Springfield firearms.

Without question, your rifle is 100% original, no need to tear it apart. Of the over half dozen or more original BO & F rifles I have seen, this one is hands down the finest I have ever seen, a true gem.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Thank you '03collector' for that interesting background on this BoOF rifle and the Jonathan Peck provenance.

As I review the beginning of this thread, 'Wagon Mike' indicated he is researching this rifle, but it is not clear who actually is the owner???

WAGON

Post by WAGON »

Good evening to everyone and I am going thru the messages and making note's. I added pic's of the rear sight and "not an expert" appears made for this gun goes to 21 . The last message did identify the gun and who had it up till 2002. I am the caretaker as of Sunday morning 05/01/2022 purchased at Ohio Gun Collectors show. I am learning and checking what has been mentioned in the messages so far and am going to find some book's on Krag's. ME------ I cut my teeth on 1911A1 military and commercial from mid 70's my show partner passed away 2 years ago at 93 and he was a long time rifle shooter, reloader , Camp Perry of and on from 1958. Working shows it was easier to do pistol's and I teased him about loading all those rifles. I got the bug about 20 years ago and learned 1903's/ m-2's/ Garands and love them. I have numerous NM 1903A1's and Grand NM's all researched and documented (I love doing that). I saw the Krag Friday evening and admired the condition and talked to the gentleman Sat. He said it was BofO gun and only a few made. Sat evening I looked up on internet, had a few things to look for. I will be honest Sunday on way back to show I almost convinced myself------it's gonna be summer you don't need another research job :D I did not listen to myself Keep adding to post Next OGCA show is JULY and he and I are going to talk about who and where he go it ! I added pic's of rear sight

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'Wagon Mike', I am glad you are the 'foster parent' of this amazing example of a '1 of 100' Krag. Thank you for explaining how you paid money at the OGC show to get 'custody'.
I believe it has gone to a good home. You appreciated that it was a well preserved rarity and sought knowledge before screwing things up!

(I didn't want to put any more work into this thread if it was just helping a Pawn Shop or 'flip-artist').

It is a real treat for many of us to get a glimpse and learn a bit about a truly remarkable Krag, that has probably spent much of its life in a high quality and secure storage environment, rarely appreciated by human eyes.
What you have is on the actual 'Wish List' of Springfield Armory National Historic Park; they do not have one!

It is most rare to see a Krag that is in the same condition as when it left the Armory. Your BoOF rifle never underwent arsenal 'rebuilding', so it shows the various original part finishes in all their glory .

I feel kind of sorry for you.
Your first foray into U.S. Krags and you gain custody of a "National Treasure".
You can't shoot it, disassemble it, or manipulate it much, without the risk of putting a visible scratch or ding in one of its pristine components.
It is all downward from here. It is most likely that you will never find a nicer, more historic Krag.

Should you ever find the pressure of being 'custodian' of this gem intolerable, rest assured some of your fellow KCA members will gladly step-up and give you a respite period, from the pressure and worry.
You can count on me to help on short notice and give you a break from the responsibilities of 'guardianship'.
No charge, I will be glad to ease your burden!

I do recommend that you invest in a good Krag library, even though the better Krag books may offer only scanty information on the BoOF rifle. The classics are out of print, but show up on eBay and are enlightening on many Krag aspects.
Col. William Brophy's book, "The Krag Rifle" can be found for under $100.

Frank Mallory's book, "The Krag Rifle Story", second edition, I enjoy very much and it is much improved over the 1st edition. The 2nd edition has Springfield Research Services- Krag data on serial numbers found in official records in its appendix. The 2nd edition is hard to find for under $200.

Joe Poyer's book, "The American Krag Rifles and Carbines", I find a useful intro for about $25 to $30; it explains a lot and has good photos and drawings.

Some KCA members rave about Joe Farmer's self-published work. He is listed in the KCA Classifieds and it has to be purchased from him directly, for about $45. The man appears brilliant, but eccentric with a novel approach to data. He detests me and I don't know if his book addresses the BoOF rifles.

You certainly want to pursue getting all the information you can from the OGC- member who transferred 'custody' of this rifle to you. It may go nowhere or open wonderful chapters on this BoOF rifle's trek.

p.s. - Mike, I hope it was OK that I copied and edited your photos from imgur and posted them here. The link you provided to imgur will eventually become inactive and this thread would lose a lot of its value.

Oh, I forgot my usual good manners ... Mike, welcome to the KCA Forum.

WAGON

Post by WAGON »

Good morning This get's more interesting each day. You guy's are a vast source of information. O3 Collector stated he had information on the auction and about the bayonet. I'd like to know more and maybe try to find the bayonet. I know it would be a long long shot to do so. Mike