Opinion/Idea's thought's BoOF BayonetGood evening

U.S. Military Krags
WAGON

Opinion/Idea's thought's BoOF BayonetGood evening

Post by WAGON »

Good evening all ! As I said before your knowledge is amazing You are convincing a 1903/Garand/1911 collector to learn and add Krag's to the fun. I would like to try and reunite the rifle in my care with the bayonet that "was documented" to be for it at the auction in 2002. Per original auction catalog copy in original thread where you guy's ID'd the rifle. I called Little John's Auction and they said no record's before 2009. I called the lady who Little John's said (former employee) might have record's----she was very nice and remembered the Johnathon Peck auction but knew nothing of record's. I then sorta looked around internet on 05/13 I e-mailed SOABC (Society of American Bayonet Collector's ) as of yet have not heard back. Now there is really no way to know how long that bayonet had been with rifle but Johnathon Peck's note at auction ties them together. I may re check with SOABC and see if they did get my e-mail. If you guys have any idea's on who is into Krag bayonet's or a collector of military bayonets that might be a good place to pick up clue's let me know. It's for the history of it I could just hunt for (a long hunt) one for 26"bbl---but I would rather see them back together. Thank's guy's ! The BoOF has a nice modern Kerr leather sling and getting acquainted with the 1903's that surround her !!!! THANK'S !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mike (WAGON)

WAGON

Re: Opinion/Idea's thought's BoOF BayonetGood evening

Post by WAGON »

Good morning, hope all having a good weekend and flying the color's ! I have been looking and learning around internet about the bayonet's. I found a page/ site by Frank Trzaska and looked thru it. I mailed him and we talked and I learned. He was kind enough to give me contact info for Donald Hartman. We talked Friday morning, a very nice and knowledgeable gentleman. I am getting an eye opening experience. For many year's I had met and become friends with many people in the 1911a1/ M1 Garand and 1903 collector's community. I never knew that there were this many collector's and the vast knowledge out here on Krag's. I'm rambling so Mr Hartman suggested speaking to Douglas R Rainbow, he lives in NY and has a large collection and might have an idea where the bayonet from auction might be. I realize it may not be for sale first step is tracking it down. If anyone might know how to contact him I would appreciate the info he might know who bought it. Also in my searching I believe I have located a copy of the auction catalog from 2002 when Mr Peck's items were sold, I will know next week. One step lead's to next because of information and pic's of catalog you guys supplied ---- otherwise I would not even know it existed Thank's Mike

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Good Luck in your worthwhile quest, Mike! (Thanks for posting details)!

Mr. Hartman does seem like a wonderful gentleman. His book on the Krag Bayonet is a great resource.

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

Mike, sadly, Doug Rainbow passed away last fall/winter.

WAGON

Post by WAGON »

I am sorry to hear that, when I talked to Mr Hartman he said that he was not much of a seller---liked to buy. That's why I sorta dread my OGCA newsletters and seeing who has passed. We are losing a lot of knowledge. Thank's for letting me know, I will keep researching Have a good evening