Looking for opinions on 1892 Krag

U.S. Military Krags
MosbyRidge

Looking for opinions on 1892 Krag

Post by MosbyRidge »

Wanted thoughts on a rifle I just bought. Did I get a good price or am I missing a problem? Thank you for any information!

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/932987031

03collector

Re: Looking for opinions on 1892 Krag

Post by 03collector »

Not sure how this rifle was written up, but you have a cut down rifle stock. Later type rear sight 1898 or 1902 type. The pictures are of poor quality im sure there are others on this form that might give there opinion. Also the front sight doesn't look correct. Your 1892 rifle im sure was updated to the 1896 configuration.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

"MosbyRidge' - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

I regret to say that your auction purchase is not a particularly good Krag example. The stock, in addition to being cut down has been heavily sanded and refinished. There are areas of wood missing from in front of the bolt-handle and on the left-side, in front of the side-plate.

The metal appears to have many areas that have been cold-blued or refinished in patches. Most of the metal coloring does not look correct.

We do not know the condition of the bore. There is something suspicious about the front-sight base. It may have been re-attached to the barrel. The sight-blade is wrong.
The sling butt-swivel is held to the stock with 'non-gun screws'. The barrel-band has been put on backwards, (an easy fix). The model 1902 rear-sight has a knob broken off.
The left side-plate looks like a model 1896 plate.

It does have a model 1892 receiver. Krag #16085 would have originally been assembled around May to July in 1895.

Like '03collector' said, this rifle received updates, to make it more like later Krag models. Your receiver has a small 'notch' that was machined for the 'hold-open' pin on its later type of extractor.

This Krag is wearing a model 1892 wood handguard, but that handguard does not go with the 1902 rear-sight.
The Bolt may be a model 1892 bolt, (it is hard to tell in the photo). Good Model 1892 Bolts have extra value.
The bolt sleeve and safety-lever are a variation that was used on the model 1892 Krag.

There is no SRS documented history from official records for rifle #16085.

Gun values and Krag parts are kind of inflated right now. I cannot guide you on what it is worth. Value is too tricky and personal, these days
In my opinion it is a bunch of interesting parts, assembled by "I don't know who", and from the photographs - probably not in great shape.

I am just giving you my honest thoughts on this Krag. I don't want you offended, hurt financially, or taken advantage of.

MosbyRidge

Post by MosbyRidge »

First of all. Thank you so much for both of your time, information, and honesty!

And here I was thinking I did well because it didn't appear to be sporterized! Kind of a bummer, but I can't wait to get it in hand and observe the differences that I was not aware of. I guess thinking positively, with minimal collector value, I won't feel guilty shooting it!

Thanks again!

Whig

Post by Whig »

Hopefully, the bore has some good rifling that can serve you well in shooting this badly treated Krag rifle. The rear sight can't be properly adjusted without replacing the broken slide adjustment wheel.

Overall, you made a grievous error. Maybe you have enough money to do so. Most of us don't. We talk about this problem on this site from time to time. You bought a Krag rifle that few of us would want to own and then you come here and ask "How'd I do?" Poorly. If you would have researched and studied these unusual military rifles before you saw this on Gun Broker, you wouldn't have touched it. You could have asked our opinion about the rifle before bidding, also. We often give helpful advice before someone makes a costly mistake. You should buy the Krag book frequently available on ebay by Poyer for $25 or less. Read through it.

If you want to actually make a good choice next time, do some work first. This rifle can be helped with work and investment but it will cost many hundreds of dollars to make it a reasonable rifle. You can buy a really nice Krag rifle that any collector and shooter would be proud to own for around $1200 or more today. To fix yours up, you'll have close to that in this one. Stocks, hand guards, sights are expensive.

Harsh words but that's the reality, since you came here looking for help and opinions. We love Krags and love helping people find and enjoy one of their own. Once you get the fever, it's hard to go back. We're glad to help along the way! They are fun to own and use.

Also, this Bryant seller is off base by calling this rifle "Excellent condition"! He convinced you to bid, I guess. Be careful. We have ALL made mistakes like this but once is enough to not get caught unprepared again!

MosbyRidge

Post by MosbyRidge »

Thank you for your time Whig! The company has a 3 day inspection period that I may take advantage of. So while I understand that to a collector this rifle as a whole is not of interest, would you think that selling as a parts gun / parting it out be worthwhile if I ever decide to get rid of it? Or should I start over with the help of this forum?

I really wasn't interested in spending more than 800, as long as I could get something of good "value" or the ability to resale for what I paid. I'm glad I found this forum!

Whig

Post by Whig »

Glad to hear of the three day period. I would get the rifle and take good pictures and post them here. You will get quick answers about whether you should keep it or best to return it and save up for a better choice. Might be well worth your time and effort and we will be glad to help!

MosbyRidge

Post by MosbyRidge »

Thanks so much!

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'MosbyRidge' - Do you have any personal connection with the GunBroker seller of this Krag, Bryant Ridge?

(Same last name)???

If not, I recommend that you contact them and try to stop the transaction and save everyone shipping and restocking fees.

The Krag is not the model or in the condition that was portrayed by the 'Seller'.
Attachments
Bryant Ridge.jpg
Bryant Ridge.jpg (49.86 KiB) Viewed 889 times
Last edited by butlersrangers on Mon May 30, 2022 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MosbyRidge

Post by MosbyRidge »

I live close by and may inspect the rifle in person / take pictures to share with the forum. I haven't seen any unmodified krags for anywhere near this price point recently so if this one is shootable I may hold onto it with knowledge that It would not have value to collectors.

If in mechanically sound condition I hope that it will still have value to someone like me looking for a good shooter with some history.

I very much hope to someday have the extra cash to buy a correct piece.

Thank you again