Model 1896

U.S. Military Krags
wsmrto 47

Model 1896

Post by wsmrto 47 »

I haven't been on this forum for at least 15 years but just wanted to log in the MODEL 1896 I have just received. I have had many nice Krags in my collection over the last 30 years or so but have just a few left. One is a nice 1899 Carbine with a 1902 Rear sight and A beautiful Danish Krag in 8X58R. I have just won a bid on a fantastic 1896 that is near 90% blue and looks to have been a safe queen for the last 100 years or so. The most fascinating is the Serial Number: 100000. Needless to say just that it is such a nice 1896 is great but the SN seems to announce that "Hey I'm Special". Is there any significance to having such a serial number. Would it bring a premium if I were to put it for sale. I am getting along in years and I need to note a value on it for the wife. Anyone have any ideas and yes I have the Blue Book but it is not really realistic with this.

butlersrangers

Re: Model 1896

Post by butlersrangers »

'wsmrto 47' - Welcome back to the KCA forum.

U.S. Rifle Model 1896, serial number 100,000, is listed in SRS Data as being issued in 1898 to Company "D", 3rd Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry.

Your Krag was likely assembled at Springfield Armory around April to June 1898.

Model 1898 Krag rifle production started in June 1898, around serial number 109342.

I imagine the memorable serial number and "SRS listing" would add a bit to the value and desirability of your rifle.

I am getting away from quoting values on Krags. Especially ones that I cannot see or handle.

The dollar is too unstable these days and prices have gotten goofy.

Many of us would enjoy seeing photos of your 'new' Krag!

FredC

Post by FredC »

Welcome back, also. And what Br said about photos if you can manage them.

wsmrto 47

Post by wsmrto 47 »

Thanks very much for the very important and valuable info. I knew it had been issued, however it is in great condition except the P cartouche is barely visible and only a few very faint marks of the inspectors stamp is visible. The wood is otherwise beautiful and I am puzzled as it looks like the Insp stamp was either finely sanded or rubbed off. I will get a few pics up after I finish wiping the parts down. I think I will try to steam the insp stamp area and try to bring it up a little.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Most U.S. Krag rifles and carbines underwent repair and 'rebuilding' at Springfield Armory or at arsenals & depots, during their time as service arms.

This well-structured process involved disassembly and refinishing of serviceable parts.
The newly refinished parts were assembled into nice looking arms that were new combinations of parts.

Krag stocks, during 'rebuilding', were carefully scraped to smooth damaged areas, dents and bruising.
This refinishing process could leave original stock-markings very faint. There was no need to "re-stamp" wood markings.

It is likely your Krag, #100000, experienced this scenario.

It would likely be a mistake to "steam" a nice looking 'refurbished' Stock.
It sounds like your Krag is close to the condition it was in, when last in service.
If it was 'arsenal rebuilt', the earlier stock markings become irrelevant.

wsmrto 47

Post by wsmrto 47 »

Thanks again!! I normally do not do anything but disassemble and wipe down the major parts to clean the dust and gunk and do a good wipe down with oily rag. The wood I wipe down with Howards, let dry out a day or so. I'm in southern New Mexico and except for current monsoon humidity of 25 to 30% it will be back to 105 and 4% in a few weeks. I don't normally have rust problems in the gun room. I also have a nice collection of 70+ Rolling Blocks, a few Martini's, Sniders, and some hard to find Marlins and a few Wins. This year I have let go of a large part of my collection and am contemplating reducing the collection again. Most of the older guys I used to know have passed on or sold out to have retirement income. Really would like to find a new outlet for my thoughts.

Zac952

Post by Zac952 »

Wow 4 percent humidity! How have your stocks faired? It seems like much below 30 percent and I would think they would really start to dry out and crack.

wsmrto 47

Post by wsmrto 47 »

Well today I checked and it was 108 at 4PM and 42% h. The clouds piled up in the evening and thought we would get some rain, Nope the clouds just blew off to the NE and had to hand water just before dark. The last two summers have been really hot and dry. Yes the entire month of late may thru end of june we totaled over 135 days with no more than several trace amounts of rain. OK I am going to try to post some pics but I am not that tech so here goes.
Attachments
678.jpg
678.jpg (205.52 KiB) Viewed 1717 times
567.jpg
567.jpg (168.8 KiB) Viewed 1717 times
234.jpg
234.jpg (208.44 KiB) Viewed 1717 times
345.jpg
345.jpg (204.75 KiB) Viewed 1717 times
123.jpg
123.jpg (208 KiB) Viewed 1717 times

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

That is a very handsome model 1896 Krag with a model 1901 rear-sight and appropriate hand-guard.
It would be a mistake to mess with the wood except maybe a wipe-down with lemon oil or 'Pledge'.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

That IS a very nice-looking rifle - one of the very best in the class of "used (weak cartouches and some grasping groove wear) but not abused" pieces that I have seen over 50 years of collecting SA from the 1865-1915 period. I really need to start thinning out, too, and I share your frustration with that endeavor. Some have to go but where and to whom . . .