Opinions lessons ? Gun broker auction

U.S. Military Krags
reiver

Re: Opinions lessons ? Gun broker auction

Post by reiver »

I will post the pics when the rifle arrives with the documentation.... I just pulled up some search's and according to those Brophy gave some dates/serial numbers but they are way off from Poyer/Mallory etc.
The stock is also stamped 1898.
Interestingly, in the letter from 1933 the buyer bought the rifle and a complete 'barrel assembly'. I've noted the rifle has a 1901 sight and, in the breech one can note a slightly rounded barrel lip on the breech indicating (so I've read) a latter barrel. It appears Gramps had the new barrel mounted that he ordered. I am buying this from the grandson, and it has been in the family since '33.
The rifling is excellent as he sent me 4 very good bore shots. The seller is his Grandson also a Glenn..
pix675152465.jpg
pix675152465.jpg (90.05 KiB) Viewed 828 times

03collector

Post by 03collector »

Can't wait to see your DCM Krag rifle, if there is any interest i can start a new post. My DCM Krag is a 92/96 modified rifle, sn. 21404 no SRS hit. The stock is not a modified 92 type stock but a standard 1896 type. No cartouche or P poof, l have all the letters he wrote to Rock Island Aresenal about buying this and other rifles and pistols too. His name was Captain George P Steinmetz 346th Engineers Res.
He bought it in Nov. 1920. He paid $1.50 that includes the packing charge. This Officer bought a lot of stuff ammo to.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'03collector' - Out of curiosity, was your Krag's serial number recorded in any of the DCM documents?

reiver

Post by reiver »

Not that I am aware of...no one cared about serial numbers when buying a weapon then as there was no need to keep that info. When I bought my Mauser at Sears and Roebuck back in the mid 60's they didn't note the serial number on the receipt either. Just an 8 mm Mauser 1944 (actually 7.9 but you know the deal there). BTW, I slung it over my shoulder and took the bus home from town, the bus driver said 'cool rifle kid'...I was 17.
Springfield Armory didn't keep an in depth record either...the only serial number records of note would be the ones kept by the armorer/arms room of the unit it was issued to.

03collector

Post by 03collector »

Thats a good question, I checked all my SRS books I cant remember if I sent the number to Wayne Gagner. I am a member of the U.S. Marshall Arms Collectors. I do have the small DCM Sales book but that covers 03's and the 1922 22 cal. rifles.

03collector

Post by 03collector »

I have to make one correction the rifle was bought in 1929 not 1920.
George also bought a 1922 Ml NRA rifle, that was listed in the DCM sales book. Got paper work and the original target it was shot at. He also bought an extra clip for the rifle, got that also.

reiver

Post by reiver »

Sorry, my response about the serial numbers being recorded I thought was directed at myself...and that is simply an opinion based upon other rifles in teh US at the time.
I'd be interested if some had the serial listed when purchased and I don't know if I will receive more than that one typed page.