Opinions lessons ? Gun broker auction

U.S. Military Krags
Whig

Re: Opinions lessons ? Gun broker auction

Post by Whig »

This Krag rifle, thank you for sharing the link, is absolutely one of the nicest examples I have seen in a long time! The grasping grooves are as sharp as the day it was made. The metal edges are all sharp and crisp. I don't see some of the typical signs of refinishing that I usually see. There is no evidence of sanding or refinishing at all. I could be wrong but there are some clues that scream to me unused and NOS. I will give one (of a few). If the metal had been refinished to the extent that we see on most of this Krag, the butt plate would also be clean and new looking. Most Krags have been stored for years, decades, by resting on the butt plate. This should show wear inconsistent with the rest of an unused rifle that has just been stored! The bluing and white bolt and case coloring are as diverse as when first made. Most refinished rifles show an unusual lack of diversity of finishes. We have seen many that look all freshly blued even where they were not blued originally by Springfield Armory. Even the rear sight looks fresh off the press. Those cartouche and proof marks are almost always fake when that sharp and clean but I don't believe so with this rifle. The wood on both sides of the closed bolt handle are sharp and clean. There are a few handling marks that make sense for being kicked around a little. I could go on! Not worth the above stated amount but this Krag should carry a nice premium!

This rifle was made at Springfield Armory in March 1900. The cartouche matches that. The rear sight is a Model 1902 rifle sight that may have been a replacement for the Model 1896 rifle sight that was used as an interim sight between production changes on Krags. The Model 1902 rear sight with this Sgt. Peep addition probably is correct for this Krag based on the totality of the other correct details on this apparently unused Krag.

Please add details to show where I may be wrong. (Won't be the first time!)

polska

Post by polska »

Buying guns online can be tough, pictures always look better. If we are going to nitpick a couple things I would question is the pin on the front sight looks like it was freshly put in. I having more experience with South American mausers I would question how bright the bolt is for a 122 year old rifle, to me the handle looks like it recently has seen a polishing wheel. The third thing I would question is the top barrel band, nose cap, I have 5 Krags and even though they are not mint but are 80% or better, the bluing is not a perfect match as the barrel as it is on that one. I have only seen perfect matching bluing on Mausers not rifles out of Springfield. Whole different set of priorities.
But, what do I know, maybe it's perfect . I'm just an old cruffler.

Whig

Post by Whig »

Personal, in-hand examination is absolutely preferred to pictures, as you say. I would like to be able to examine this one better. If it was locked up untouched for 120+ years, that would be hard to believe. I just find the sharpness of the wood and metal to be almost unmatched in my experience with Krags. The sharpness of the cartouche is almost too good to believe, also. Almost.

FredC

Post by FredC »

I was a little skeptical on the first looksee. I thought it may have been professionally restored. 2nd looksee and I think it is original. I have 3 NOS Krag bolts and they are shiny and the original arsenal buffing is not perfect on them. I ground and polished a couple of 1917 Enfield bolts to take out some of the "squareness", it is hard to duplicate the original look.

If this one is as advertised, I would not want it. I would need to get a padded gun safe. Fondling it for a few minutes and cycling the bolt a couple times that would be nice.

Krags to me are for shooting. I have no time for competition or recreational shooting. So my Krags are one sporter and my grandfather's near original. The sporter sees use as a "pig control weapon" and was original owned by my other grandfather. The near original my dad carried it around the mountains and valleys in Chino Valley, Az and killed mule deer with it.

For the one in this thread, it would be nice to know the history. Why did it stay in this condition, who owned it. If as advertised I could see a collector bidding it up to the original buy it now price.

King carp

Post by King carp »

From what i have learned on this site that looks like a legit great condition Krag. It would be nice to know the history of the rifle. Maybe a tool room sample that escaped being issued? Or was it gifted to someone that just packed it away? I am with Fred, i would not pay a premium for this rifle. It belongs in a museum or NRA excellent condition collection. With todays inflation and crazy prices being paid for weapons i would not be surprised if it goes north of 2K.

FredC

Post by FredC »

If one of the collectors on this site ends up with it. I will have a standing offer of $50.00 for 2 minutes of handling if you can bring it by here. :-)

I promise not to drool on it. :-)

Local Boy

Post by Local Boy »

A number of years back I purchased an 1898, in the same condition, from an online auction company that listed a number of krag rifles in a similar state.

I often pondered as to whether they came from a estate sale or maybe some museum off-loaded part of their Krag collection...

...Springfield???

IMHO: If it did come from Springfield or some well known collector then that would've been a big part of the selling factor...which it was not.

As for the different blued pieces and such...pretty typical for Krags since they used different bluing/browning techniques for numerous parts.

I still believe it's legit or someone is darn good at restorations!

They're probably reading our posts right now and snickering about how they have us all bamboozled! :o
Last edited by Local Boy on Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

WAGON

Post by WAGON »

I don't believe anyone here is bamboozled ( but yes they might---not likely be giggling. I have learned since May 01 just how much knowledge is here. It has been a great expression of KNOWLEDGE and opinions from information provided in auction. O3 Collector believes maybe arsenal redone---he said he wonders if that so far is only serious question mark. Now I take a back seat as I am a newbie and from pic's I do agree with what you guys have stated you see in pic's. Let some more chime in

WAGON

Post by WAGON »

As you guys had forcasted it is working towards a feeding frenzy

King carp

Post by King carp »

So i watched the auction end. The rifle went a little further north than i thought. It ended north of santa's workshop. Someone should have took the earlier buy it now price. Shows you what a little advertizing can do. For me 4 grand + fee's is a bit much to spend on something i probably should not shoot. To each his own, i hope the new owner is happy.