Opinions lessons ? Gun broker auction

U.S. Military Krags
Whig

Re: Opinions lessons ? Gun broker auction

Post by Whig »

$4024 plus tax. Wow! It is a museum piece. I fantasized owning it briefly and was ready to bid $3250 but it shot past that price before I could even bid near the end. (I would NOT have bid if op was still in the game because he posted this auction here and had the right to ask our opinion without having any of us compete against him. Just a courtesy amongst collecting friends!) Glad to have seen this. I can't imagine there are more than 2 or 3 in existence like this one. I did have a good supply of band-aids in case I got it because those grasping grooves were sharp enough to cut you! Thanks for the posting Wagon!

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

Whig wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:10 am (I would NOT have bid if op was still in the game because he posted this auction here and had the right to ask our opinion without having any of us compete against him. Just a courtesy amongst collecting friends!)
Exactly the way it should be!!

WAGON

Post by WAGON »

Good morning I watched it till ended and it shot way up there. I read all of the comments you guy's had posted. 03Collector comments had me looking very close at all pic's and researching. I then noticed bid pattern of a NR bidder and he had just joined GB about time auction posted---just something I noticed. He was no longer a player when got high. It was a beautiful rifle in pic's but no history ----he posted that after I e-mailed him. It does prove that really fine Krag's will generate good money. Thank's guys for all comments with shipping and tax probably just under 4350.00

Doubly Reincarnated

Post by Doubly Reincarnated »

Just looked at the bids & bid dates & times. The successful (?) bid was dated Aug 4 (8/4) and was higher than the series of bids dated 8/7. What happened?

Local Boy

Post by Local Boy »

The successful bidder probably posted a maximum bid (8/4) that was higher then later bids placed at a latter date (8/7). Auction sites will offer an option for a bidder to place a maximum bid that will beat lower bids up to the maximum value determined by the bidder who's used this option.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Real late to the game, but, for what it is worth:

This Krag, (which sold on GunBroker), is certainly exceptional.
A few points bother me and possibly could indicate some refurbished parts.

The range-scale of this rifle's 1902 rear-sight leaf appears 'blued'. The range scale (IMHO) should be almost 'in the white', with dark color just in the numbers and lines.
The knurling on the sight's windage knob appears worn and 're-blued'.

The rear and front barrel-bands appear refinished to me. There seems to be some slight abrasive marks in normally smooth metal surfaces of the front band.
I would expect more of a mottled-color appearance on original finish barrel-bands.

The butt-plate looks great!

Just my two cents.
Attachments
gb-1.jpg
gb-1.jpg (84.91 KiB) Viewed 826 times
GB-2.jpg
GB-2.jpg (87.58 KiB) Viewed 826 times
GB-FRONT.jpg
GB-FRONT.jpg (140.8 KiB) Viewed 826 times
gb-butt.jpg
gb-butt.jpg (112.26 KiB) Viewed 826 times
Last edited by butlersrangers on Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

reiver

Post by reiver »

I was in the market for Krag shooter and did purchase a Krag on GBroker about the time this rifle was offered. I did not consider this one as I knew it would be at the high end and I wanted a nice shooter to reload for.
I got the one that had been in the same family since purchased in '33 by the sellers Grand father. I asked for and got bore pics and he sent 4 that looked excellent.
I noted in the letter the CMP sent in '33 Grand dad ordered a new 'barrel assembly' with the '98 and it appears that is what is now mounted as the bluing is very nice, the bore great and the sight is the 1901 model.

I am new here so can't post a thread yet but could use some help..... the serial number is 135245...Poyer indicates this is a 1898 build while Brophy has it in '99. What is the ground truth and thanks from a new member.

FredC

Post by FredC »

Welcome Reiver!
I made a similar comment about the subject of this thread. It is good that someone values the special ones and keeps them as is. For me it is, family keep sake and a ranch rifle for hunting. Others casually shoot and some here compete. Krags are the answer to a lot of needs.

reiver

Post by reiver »

Thanks, I enjoy different military models...some WW2 snipers etc. but the Krag has always intrigued me. I enjoy the history and research each weapon as that is part of the fun...and reload for them too. All go to the range.

Any idea on the serial number? I am looking at Poyer's book and it appears he has done some solid research, but he admits the Govt. kept no definitive records in the main but simply general documents listing production for patent issues with Norway.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'reiver' - Welcome to the KCA forum. It sounds like you have a very interesting Krag, especially, if you have a 1933 vintage DCM letter that documents the rifle sale!
Such letters, coupled with a specific rifle, are very rare and would increase the value of the Krag.

Krag rifle, #135245, would likely have been assembled around October 1898. This is from estimates calculated by William Mook, and also Joe Poyer.
Both men based their serial number (distribution) tables on the number of rifles produced in each fiscal year, as reported in the Chief of Ordnance Annual Reports.

U.S. Krag rifles and carbines were not produced in strict numerical order. The numbered receivers went into part's-bins and were pulled out randomly, for Assembly into guns.

Rifle #135245 is not listed in Frank Mallory's Springfield Research Services data (SRS data), but lots of documented rifle serial numbers in the 135K range were issued to troops in 1898.

'reiver' - It would be great to see photos of your Krag and any DCM documents that may have come with it.

p.s. - You mentioned Brophy. I am unaware of specific Krag serial numbers being dated by William Brophy?