My thoughts on DCM - Krag paperwork

U.S. Military Krags
butlersrangers

My thoughts on DCM - Krag paperwork

Post by butlersrangers »

Over the past several years, I bought some DCM paperwork off of eBay, that was no longer 'paired' with the Krag rifle purchased.
If a serial number was recorded with the purchase-paperwork, it likely only appeared on the 'shipping ticket' letter, (that confirmed the rifle was shipped).

I have one 'shipping ticket' letter for a Krag rifle "modified to carbine length" and shipped from Benicia Arsenal in 1929. The 'shipping ticket' letter has a serial number penciled on it.
I do not know if the serial number was printed by a shipping-clerk or written on the letter by the purchaser to prove ownership? (Hence my interest in DCM-Krag paperwork).

My theory of the process on Krag DCM purchases:

1. An NRA member could obtain a purchase-order form, from the Director of Civilian Marksmanship, and submit the request with his NRA membership card and choose a payment/shipping option.

2. Everything being in order, the DCM would send instructions to a U.S. Army storage facility, depot, or arsenal, listing the items and method of payment & shipment.
(Two orders are posted - one to Rock Island in 1923 and one to Benicia Arsenal in 1929 for a rifle modified to carbine length).

3. The order being packed and ready for shipment, a 'clerk' completed the shipping ticket (letter), possibly noting the serial number on the typed form, in pencil(?).

I invite KCA members to share their insights. If letters are shared, it is probably a good idea to 'blemish' them in some way, to discourage charlatans and poltroons.
Attachments
IMG_0731.JPG
IMG_0731.JPG (255.79 KiB) Viewed 1237 times
IMG_0726-ed.jpg
IMG_0726-ed.jpg (365.72 KiB) Viewed 1237 times
IMG_0728-ed.jpg
IMG_0728-ed.jpg (295.89 KiB) Viewed 1237 times
IMG_0729-ed.jpg
IMG_0729-ed.jpg (335.81 KiB) Viewed 1237 times
IMG_0732.JPG
IMG_0732.JPG (128.98 KiB) Viewed 1237 times

03collector

Re: My thoughts on DCM - Krag paperwork

Post by 03collector »

I just think stuff like that is so cool, its to bad document's like that didn't stay with the gun.
I messed up big time in this grouping of firearms from this family. There was a DCM Krag cut to carbine length with paper work from Benicia Arsenal, can't remember if it had the sn. written on the paper work. Like a dummy i took a pass and have been kicking myself ever since. Its not the first time LOL.

I will try and post on a new post pictures of my DCM Krag and the paper work. You also make a very good point to but something in the document to blemish it.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

The only way to conclusively prove a well-done 'cut-down' Krag is a "DCM/NRA carbine" is by having the DCM paperwork.

IMHO, having original DCM purchase/shipping paperwork connected with a Krag, is as good or better than most SRS listings.

It would be mighty easy for an unscrupulous gun seller to passoff a cut-down Krag 'Deer Rifle', as something more desirable & valuable, with doctored copies of DCM documents.

kragluver2

Post by kragluver2 »

Question - did Benicia ever create cut downs with 24" barrels? The reason I ask is that I have a Krag that my grandfather bought somtime in the 1930s from DCM. My father believes grandpa cut the barrel himself. He may have, but the crown was expertly redone and the front sight brazed back in place just like a Springfield manufactured Krag.

My grandfather had been an armorer in the Army and was an expert wood worker. He may have done the work himself or had another gunsmith do it.

The stock is clearly a cut down rifle stock with the center lightening hole nicely filled in.

The receiver was blued at some point. Perhaps before he bought the rifle.

03collector

Post by 03collector »

I have 3 or 4 original "Prics List of Supplis" sold through the DCM. The one that came with my Krag rifle is dated 1929. It only lists cut down rifles to carbine length. 22 inches fitted with a 1903 front sight assembly, at Benicia only. $3.50.
It sounds to me like your grandpa may have done the work, sounds like he had the skill . Back in the day people just wanted a cheap deer rifle.A person could buy a Krag rifle full length for only a $1.50 that included shipping.
Such a deal

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I am in agreement with '03collector', in his observations and conclusions.

A 24 inch barrel Krag 'cut-down' is likely a civilian conversion.

kragluver2

Post by kragluver2 »

Thay is what I have always thought as well. This discussion about Benecia made me wonder though. Thanks for the replies.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'kragluver2':

The Benicia paperwork (I posted) for Mr. West's, 22-inch barrel - 'cut-down' Krag, was rather specific about the $2.00 conversion.

I do not believe Benicia Arsenal did 24-inch barrel conversions.

However, Frank Mallory in the "KRS", 2nd edition, wrote about (35) 24"- conversions being done at Rock Island Arsenal.
(I'd like to see the details in the original paperwork).
Attachments
IMG_0737.JPG
IMG_0737.JPG (258.58 KiB) Viewed 1146 times
IMG_0581.JPG
IMG_0581.JPG (507.39 KiB) Viewed 1146 times