Carbine with bad stock?

U.S. Military Krags
RobertL214

Carbine with bad stock?

Post by RobertL214 »

I’m no Krag expert but I was pointed to this forum for more info.

Recent estate sale pickup is a 1900 dated carbine that I initially thought was a sporter. I picked it up for a pretty good price - $700 for the rifle plus 200 rounds of factory ammo (albeit factory ammo I’ve never heard of lol).

Asking around C&R forums I had a few people point out to me that the barreled receiver (specifically the front sight and the fact that the crown looks right) seems to be that of an actual carbine.

I’ve been told the experts are here, and if anyone could give insight it would be this group of fine people.

The stock is 100% a cut down and is no good, the rear sight seems to be later than 1900, and another C&R guy told me that the front band doesn’t look right either.

Would appreciate any info you guys could feed me!

Here’s photos: https://imgur.com/a/6Mko6OL

SN has a nasty ding but it’s 258,277.

Thank you all very much in advance!
Attachments
20F368AA-0E77-409D-8D95-63FE7375D840.jpeg
20F368AA-0E77-409D-8D95-63FE7375D840.jpeg (595.88 KiB) Viewed 995 times

Mike4MSU

Re: Carbine with bad stock?

Post by Mike4MSU »

Welcome to KCA

I’m not an expert so I’ll let others chime in with more information. However I do own a legitimate 1899 carbine and that crown and front sight do not look correct to me. I also believe in addition to a cut down and plugged stock, it has a standard rifle rear sight. Looks like a typical cut down sporter to me.

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

Front sight base looks odd. Looks like it was removed and reattached and reshaped a bit. Might be camera angle but it seems that way in all pictures.

Mike4MSU

Post by Mike4MSU »

I’ve also attached a photo where the finish seems off near the base of the front sight. Almost looks like brazing material.
Attachments
FDF21B71-CFF8-4958-9BCC-9DBEE22B91D2.jpeg
FDF21B71-CFF8-4958-9BCC-9DBEE22B91D2.jpeg (731.07 KiB) Viewed 972 times

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

The serial number is in a range that is just rifles. I agree with all observations made by fellow KCA members, that it is a cut-down rifle with the front-sight base re-attached to a shortened barrel.

I am curious about the actual barrel length and the "brand" of the 200 rounds of ammo?

'RobertL214': Welcome to the KCA Forum! Looks like a fun 'shooter'.

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Welcome to the Great Krag Collectors Association! You have chosen wisely. Please help me Obi-W... Sorry wrong movie.

Memo to yourself. Chances are if you see what appears to be an 1898 Krag carbine and it has sling equipage and a pin at the front band it is a cut down rifle. Most occasions a 1903 front was added and guns such as yours just means some guy tried to the right thing with the front sight.

But for the sake of curiosity run a cleaning rod down the barrel on a closed bolt and see if the barrel is 22 inches to the muzzle.

As for the opinion that the stock is no good I say baloney. Cut down in all its glory you still have a good deer, aardvark, ivory billed woodpecker, and woolly Mammoth gun. Enjoy it

Now about that ammo. The only stuff I am aware of is Winchester, Remington and HSM.

https://www.outdoorlimited.com/rifle-am ... 20-rounds/
Last edited by Culpeper on Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

Whig

Post by Whig »

Too many questionable details to have any real military collectible value. Value is in being a shooting carbine length Krag. Nice to have ammunition. Hard to find these days unless you reload. Check the ammo to make sure it looks factory and not some unknown reloads that might be dangerous to shoot!

Is the bore good? Does the bolt look intact without cracks? Is the chamber damaged or altered? Does the action work well? These are important questions to have answers for if you want to shoot it. Most Krags are in good shape for shooting but some have been altered, re-chambered for another caliber or damaged. Check it out well or have a qualified gun smith familiar with Krags check it out.

Otherwise, go out and blast away! The rear sight and front sight blade may not be a match and it might shoot low or something. Start at 50 yards and check. The barrel, for an authentic carbine, should be exactly 22 inches from the end of the muzzle to the front of the closed bolt, checked with a cleaning rod.

Nice to have a sling with it. Does the butt stock compartment have anything in it? Made for a set of cleaning rods and an oiler.

Serial 258277, if I am reading it correctly, was made around February 1900. Value not real high but worth what you paid (with the ammo) if you are happy. Heck, factory .30-40 Krag ammunition costs around $2.00 a round today if you can find it! Hope it works well!

FredC

Post by FredC »

I got so busy looking at your Krag I forgot to say, "WELCOME to the KCA". Fixed that.

Just to add to what the others said the crown looks off to me. The overall appearance looks like a nicely done conversion. If a gunsmith did it, he was moderately skilled. If it was done by the owner on a kitchen table, I would say he did excellent work. The overall look is good for a faux carbine. Several of the members here have such and probably have more fun shooting them than original carbines.

Spelling fix.
Last edited by FredC on Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Knute1

Post by Knute1 »

I started out with a Krag sporter to learn about the action and became completely smitten with it. Especially so when I found out that a great grandfather used one in the Filipino Insurrection and the Boxer Rebellion. That is when I got a rifle in military condition. The sporter has been used for hunting and is quite handy. My Krag still in military condition is more of a safe queen that gets out and is shot occasionally. I enjoy them both. There is much to learn here. And we are still learning. Welcome into the fold and don't be shy about asking questions. I have found this forum most respectful and with positive/encouraging conversations. Enjoy your Krag for what it is.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Hey... Welcome to the forum!

I have nothing to add about the Krag other than it is a nice cut-down which should shoot well and serve you with decades of Krag joy!

As for the ammo, like others have stated, make certain that it is modern ammo before you try to shoot it. Check the primers and make sure they all look identical, as sometimes ammo that is reloaded may contain a mix of primers (some with silver cups and some with brass colored cups). Also, check for any signs of corrosion around the base of the bullet. Check the case necks for cracks too, as older ammo will tend to crack just from age alone (I have several boxes of early 20th century military .30 Army ammo with cracked necks). Finally, I would avoid trying to shoot any ammo that is older than 1970s era. Older headstamps that I would avoid would include SuperSpeed and Rem USA - although these are Winchester and Remington, they date much older and I personally wouldn't trust them. The best option would be to get new brass from Remington, Winchester or GRAF (yes, they all are available) and load your own using data from a good loading manual, such as Hornady, Speer, Sierra, Lyman, etc.

Happy Shooting