New to me 1898 Krag and now a sniper too

U.S. Military Krags
reiver

New to me 1898 Krag and now a sniper too

Post by reiver »

The rifle was not modified at all... I simply removed the original sideplate and replaced it with another.... 3 screws thru/locktight and ground off on the back as the magazine still functions correctly.
The Krag came with the DCM paperwork from 1933 a sold to L. Glenn...1 Krag rifle and a barrel assembly. The barrel was put on I assume as the rifling is excellent and at some point the earlier ladder sight was replaced with a 1901 model ( I like very much) or it came on the spare barrel. (rifle is an 1898 build)
The scope mount is an old one I had...pre or post WW2 but I'd say 30's/40's as a guess. I wanted this to look a bit period but it is for using. The 4x scope is slightly offset left but aligns fine with the bore.
Like I said the rifle can be put back to its original form in just a few minutes... looking at some old pictures the original sniper tested Krags also used that sideplate as a mount point.
The rifle is very accurate with my handloads and the iron sights...I'll be shooting the scoped Krag next week.
IMG_0504.JPG
IMG_0504.JPG (244.41 KiB) Viewed 840 times
IMG_0505.JPG
IMG_0505.JPG (238.83 KiB) Viewed 840 times
IMG_0503.JPG
IMG_0503.JPG (235.36 KiB) Viewed 840 times

Knute1

Re: New to me 1898 Krag and now a sniper too

Post by Knute1 »

What a great specimen! Can't wait to read other replies. This will draw a lot of discussion, but I'm just in awe.

reiver

Post by reiver »

Thanks... I know that it is a bit iffy on a collector's site but has not been 'modified' beyond removing/replacing the sideplate. It can be 'original' rather quickly.
I shoot all of my older bolt actions and I like a scoped rifle for distance shooting.... Mosin PU, Swede M 41 B, Jap Type 97, etc.
This Krag is in wonderful shape...and great fun to shoot.... I have yet to experiment with loads/bullet weights but am just shooting some FMJBT Hornady 150's but I know it will do better with a heavier round so will push it on up while staying below the CUP psi point.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

You have a very handsome Krag with its original purchase paperwork, how cool!

You have devised a very neat scope-mount solution. It looks very good and does no harm to originality.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Definitely cool and infinitely fun!!! I wonder how something like this would be received in the Vintage Sniper Match at Camp Perry? Hmmmm

reiver

Post by reiver »

It would be a hard sell at some vintage matches.... the 4x would be all right but who knows.
The Poyer book shows a Krag sniper (I am sure you are aware) but they tried out 6/12/20 x scopes and I find that unusual for that period. A Hi lux long tube with a rear external adjustment mounted to the side plate and the forward ring/mount on the stock/barrel band (as per the experimental Krag's) would be do able... I've thought about doing that with another side plate and spare barrel band.... again it could be reversed easily.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

It would be fun to experiment with an approximate replica of the Cataract scope & mount on a Krag rifle.

As 'reiver' indicates, only the barrel-band and side-plate were altered by the fitting of the Cataract system.
Attachments
SA-scoped Krag 278777.jpg
SA-scoped Krag 278777.jpg (157.77 KiB) Viewed 780 times

reiver

Post by reiver »

That front mount I could fab up no problem....but that rear elevation mechanism would take some work...still, it is doable at least in looks if not exact operation.
You'd simply have to take the time to figure range adjustment increments....depending upon a specific load.
I note that the magazine cut off is in the down position. I wonder if their mount system compromised the inner side plate?

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

It is very possible that the placement of the Cataract scope, when swung to its lowest elevation-position, interfered with using the magazine cut-off lever and the safety-lever.

The Springfield Armory "ID-Card" incorrectly lists the model 1898 rifle as a 'model 1889'.

(My Weaver side-mount rig interferes with the Krag safety-lever).
Attachments
a weaver-10.jpg
a weaver-10.jpg (104.43 KiB) Viewed 771 times

reiver

Post by reiver »

Yes, I can see that... just wondered.... how do you like that Weaver? Is that a Weaver' 29S? Nope, that's a 330 sniper isn't it.... nice scope.