1898 Krag ID & Value *PICS*

U.S. Military Krags
bigH

1898 Krag ID & Value *PICS*

Post by bigH »

I have a 1898 Krag in 30/40 with bayonet, this rifle is from a collectors estate and was mfg in 1899, other than this its all I know about this Krag, hopefully some of you can tell me what I have here and what it is worth, the bayonet is dated 1908, the bore looks good with strong rifling, 30" barrel, if I need to post more photos let me know, thanks in advance.

butlersrangers

Re: 1898 Krag ID & Value *PICS*

Post by butlersrangers »

'bigH' - Welcome to the KCA Forum!

I believe you have misread the date on your Krag bayonet. ("1908" does not seem possible and is likely 1903).

Your Krag rifle, serial number 195817 or 195317(?), was originally assembled at Springfield Armory around April or May 1899.

It is likely the rifle was refurbished, during its service-life, and was updated with the model 1901 rear sight.

Your stock may possibly have been 'sanded' at some point by a civilian owner.
This is a nice Krag, if the bore is good, to have for a 'Shooter'.
It is not rare or in the condition that advanced collectors cherish.

In 'saner times', with its ($125) bayonet, your serviceable Krag would likely get valued at around $750 to $900.

IMHO a lot of 'utility' Krags get over-priced and will not likely sell.
Many younger and beginner 'gun fanciers' seem to favor 'black rifles' and Eastern Block stuff.
There is a rather limited 'pool of interest' in collecting and shooting Krags.

FWIW - This past weekend at a gun-show, I bought a desirable Krag in outstanding condition for $850. There was no price tag on it and it was poorly displayed.
Collectors walked past it for 8 hours with little attention. I looked at it, found it exceptional and paid the 'asking price', that I discovered when the table-holder finally showed up.
I was surprised by his low price.
Fortunately, I had sold some non-Krag related stuff and had just enough money on me.
The 'seller' liked me, and gave me no "BS".
Maybe, because I was polite to his wife and honored his "Do Not Handle Without Permission" sign, (meaning the table items, not his wife)!

It pays to be polite and ask!

(I am not bragging. I just got real lucky. If a price tag had been put on it, it would have been snatched-up, during 'table set-up', and appeared on another table priced at $1,400 or more).

Gun values and pricing have become very tricky!
Last edited by butlersrangers on Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bigH

Re: 1898 Krag ID & Value *PICS*

Post by bigH »

Thank you for your reply butlersrangers, I will check the date on the bayonet.