Slender wristed updated Krag

U.S. Military Krags
Knute1

Re: Slender wristed updated Krag

Post by Knute1 »

Here is General Orders No. 14 that gives a little detail to differences between the Model 1892 and 1896.

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Ge ... frontcover

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Knute - It was good to review the old thread on your Uncle's Krag; I sure could not find it the other day.

Your rifle has two rare and unusual features that my rifle does not have, a model 1892 bolt and an early 'high hump' model 1896 rear-sight.

If only these 'beasties' could talk and not mumble so much!

King carp

Post by King carp »

That rifle is a real beauty! Nice addition to your collection B.R. I hope i can get lucky and find one someday.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Getting back to Chuck's post of 9/28 - his 'binding' comment reminds me of a tidbit from the late Graham Burnside, prolific author and collector from the '40s to the '90s. He said (and one of my rifles has it) there was a slight scraping feel/sound to brand new rifles, or at least brand-new bolts, which he referred to as "the Krag noise". It rapidly goes away, however.

Doubly Reincarnated

Post by Doubly Reincarnated »

Thanks for posting that. GB was one of my high school English teachers and I have good memories of him. He got me started cartridge collecting. Krags came later. I don't specifically remember Krags from his collection, mostly displayed horizontally on the walls of his den. I remember 4 Burnsides, of course, and on the wall below that a US-marked 1891 Moisin-Nagant and US-marked Ross, then an odd Norwegian (?) Jarmann bolt action single shot. Krags were probably on another wall. What amazed me was that most of his collection looked almost new. You could find them back in the 1950s.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

DR- just noticed this post. When I was in high school, out in CA, 1955, I wrote a letter to Graham about some cartridges that P. J. Medicus was selling, which he answered very nicely, and we corresponded a couple of times (still have his letters - written in a very distinctive hand which you may recall) but then we drifted apart. Fast forward to 1992, when I was in Chicago as witness at UL for the testing of bullet resistant doors made by the company I worked for. Just for grins, I'd contacted him prior, and lo and behold he remembered me! Long story short, I visited him in Dundee - serendipitously on the weekend of his annual hog-roast, also attended by Frank Mallory! Frank was writing a short article for Man at Arms about Model 1866 Short Rifles, and he took pictures of same on Graham's dining room table with yours truly holding them upright. What a time we had - great memories. Somewhere I have a photo of the three off us in front of the hog, but sadly cannot find it. Thanks for the post!

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

What a great experience!! Keep looking for the picture would love to see it!!