Model 1899 Carbine

U.S. Military Krags
hyacinthe31

Re: Model 1899 Carbine

Post by hyacinthe31 »

Hi, New to the forum. Looking for a Krag carbine sight cover & front blade (C marked) for a 1896 carbine. If anyone out there might have a lead or, in fact, have one for sale, would appreciate your help! Have googled my butt off to no avail!

Whig

Re: Model 1899 Carbine

Post by Whig »

Hi, Hyacinthe and welcome to KCA! There are many places to check, as you have probably found, for various Krag parts but you are specifically looking for hard-to-find carbine parts. The best site for these is:

https://www.granpasgunparts.com/krag-springfield

I know he sells the steel carbine site cover. It is expensive and usually around $200. This cover is quite rare. Even the brass Krag sight and muzzle cover sells for around $100 each. I have only been collecting Krags about 15 years and have bought a number of these brass covers but I won't buy any more at these prices. But, if you really want one now you can search for years at gun shows and maybe never find any cheap or get one for around $100. When they were first made, they were 25 cents! It is different than the similar looking Model 1903 Springfield site cover which is only about $25. He may have the front site blade for the carbine also. But, he is closed until after New Year's and his Krag site is shut down now. Other than this site, ebay sometimes has these parts but it's hit or miss. You've probably already been checking there. I don't know if they are on Gun Broker much but watch there also.

Do you have a Krag carbine? Your thread title is about a Model1899 carbine and you ask in the post about a Model 1896 carbine. What rear sight is on your Krag? Is that a carbine marked sight also? We'd love to see pictures and learn more about what you have. We love to see new Krags and help evaluate them for originality and historical significance. Good luck!
Attachments
cover6.jpg
cover6.jpg (472.76 KiB) Viewed 345 times
cover5.jpg
cover5.jpg (381.86 KiB) Viewed 345 times
cover1.jpg
cover1.jpg (178.06 KiB) Viewed 345 times