1898 Carbine Serial Number

U.S. Military Krags
dan goris

1898 Carbine Serial Number

Post by dan goris »

Greetings... I'm new to this form and wish I would have found it years ago!! I have a correct all military 1898 carbine. I'm hoping that someone can help with finding the serial number in SRS or another source such as Mallory's 2nd ed. book. The number is 119587. Poyer puts the approx. month of manufacture at July - Aug 98. The stock has the JSA 1898 cartouche.
This gun also has a 1898 "C" rear sight. I can attach photos for needed. Again, I wish that I would have found this form a long time ago. Sounds like some very knowledgeable collectors. I currently own 3 rifles and 2 carbines and are still looking for more!!!! Any help in this serial number check would be greatly appreciated! Thx Lt. Dan

dan goris

Re: 1898 Carbine Serial Number- CORRECTIOn

Post by dan goris »

Correction The gun has 1896 rear sight

Knute1

Re: 1898 Carbine Serial Number

Post by Knute1 »

I don't have anything better than a Poyer book, others will. But I'll let you know that pictures are absolutely, positively necessary if it is at all possible the thing to do to get more and better responses to whatever can be said about your specimen(s). Might even find out things that you never even thought to ask. So, welcome to the forum. Looking forward, as many others will be, to any pictures you care to share.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'dan goris' - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

No 'hit' for your Krag carbine, #119587, in the SRS data contained in Mallory's "KRS", 2nd edition.
The listed Krags, closest to your number, are 119552 & 119600, both rifles.

I have the 'remains' of a model 1898 carbine, #119744, that is only 157 digits away.
Our carbines were likely built the same month, August 1898.

My carbine was likely updated to model 1899 features. It came to me in a model 1899 carbine stock. A civilian drilled & tapped the receiver for a Weaver side-mount.
My barrel was dove-tailed for a Marble's open hunting sight and a commercial front sight-blade was installed.
As a collector item, my model 1898 carbine was destroyed.

It is neat that your Krag is still wearing a model 1896 carbine-sight.

Forum members would enjoy seeing some pictures of your 1898 carbine and other Krags!

Whig

Post by Whig »

Welcome to KCA Lt. Dan! You sound very excited to have found our forum to learn more about and share your Krag carbine with us. We certainly share your passion and excitement since we all are Krag lovers and have this strange addiction with everything Krag!

One thing that we love to do here is examine pictures of Krags and give a thorough evaluation about every detail we can see in the pictures you post of your firearm. We have found many, many great Krag rifles and carbines over the years that have been posted on this forum to pick a part and comment on good and bad. There are hundreds of thousands of Krag rifles and carbines that are out there, most of which have been altered and damaged and changed from the way that they were originally made at Springfield Armory. Only original Krags that have NOT been altered, cut down, damaged significantly or "fixed" by some Bubba gun smith are considered military collectible Krags. That's where we can help to see where your Krag fits.

For example, the Model 1896 rear carbine sight, that you say your carbine wears, is, by itself, so rare that people are paying $1,000 or more to buy them when they show up for sale somewhere like on ebay or Gun Broker. Since this rear sight is so rare and valuable, they have been faked by people wanting to make a fast buck on someone unaware of what details to look for in a real one. We just had a discussion about a faked ("reproduced"?) Model 1896 carbine sight a couple weeks ago. Someone used a Model 1896 Krag RIFLE sight to make a carbine one. There are obvious differences if you know what to look for. This is why pictures are so important of your Krag. I especially like evaluating different Krag sights because I collect them separately as well as Krag rifles and carbines.

So, please post pictures of your Krag for us to enjoy and evaluate. If you have an authentic Krag Model 1898 Carbine, we'll add it to our very short list of authentic ones we have displayed here at KCA.

Thanks and welcome again!

dan goris

Post by dan goris »

Greetings to all! I'm impressed with the response that I've received so far the group. I will TRY to get pics out. I saw a post about how to do that. I hate computers but I'll see if I can slay the dragon and get those out to you. In regards to the 1896 rear sight on my carbine. I have a very nice 1896 rifle (JSA 1898 - 101125) that still has its original 1896 rear sight. So I used that to match known next to unknown. But again, I'm looking forward to hearing from this form. I'll try to do the pics today. This will be exciting to hear back on not just my carbine, but from the rest of my Krags. I have been a collector of Civil War weapons with an emphasis on carbines with a sharp eye out for Spencers and Sharps for many years. But when I find a sweet looking Krag it is hard to pass it up. So, yes I get what you all feel when you see a great Krag that is calling you to take it home. My wife tells me that I need to say with one war and stop bringing home other "junk"!!! If she only knew what is hiding in my safe! LOL I would like to know if any of your members attend the Ohio Gun Collectors Association (OGCA) shows. I would like to hear from them if they are. I know that there is a gentleman who is at the shows most of the time with Krags. I have not talked with him much but plan to at the show in two weeks if he is there.
Thx so much to all who responded.
Lt. Dan

dan goris

Post by dan goris »

98 C
98 C
98 C 4.jpg (32.54 KiB) Viewed 898 times
98 C
98 C
98 C 3.jpg (31.89 KiB) Viewed 898 times
98 C
98 C
98 C 2.jpg (33.53 KiB) Viewed 898 times
98 C
98 C
98 C 1.jpg (40.36 KiB) Viewed 898 times
98 C
98 C
98 C 5.jpg (38.76 KiB) Viewed 898 times
I have tried to attached pic of the 98 Carbine. Not sure it worked???????
Here is what I know about the 98 carbine. Repro handguard, commercial front sight
I hope this worked I have more pics to send out but wanted to make sure this is working. Thx to all Lt. Dan

dan goris

Post by dan goris »

Pic of the cartouche didn't send. It is 1898 JSA
Lt. Dan

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

That all looks mighty good! It is great that your model 1898 carbine is in the original 'short' stock, with the saddle-ring & bar.

Most model 1898 carbines were updated with the 1899 stock and later sights, which makes them essentially model 1899 carbines.

A picture of the front-sight/muzzle area would be helpful.

dan goris

Post by dan goris »

I meant to say was that the front sight BLADE only is a replacement. If you blow it up you can see "reg us pat" This may be a Lyman sight. ???? Thx for the positive comments!!
Lt. Dan
Attachments
Front sight
Front sight
IMG_1693.jpg (59.5 KiB) Viewed 894 times